Windows Tablet compatible with imatch

Started by stefanjan2, March 11, 2024, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanjan2

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of travelling from late May and ideally would like to cull images on the go.

My current laptop (Dell) is around 3 kilos so not practical and culling using my Samsung Android tablet not ideal.

Is anyone using and can recommend a lightweight Windows tablet or 2 in 1 laptop which they successfully use with imatch.

Jingo

I just bought a refurb Dell Latitude 7410 touch which is a 2 in 1 for just over $300 (with coupons/discounts) - pretty amazing price for a laptop that weighs 1.3KG and still carries a fine spec list ( 14-in FHD Touch (1920 x 1080), Intel Core i7 Quad (i7-10610U) 1.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro - Win 11 upgradable).  

The laptop arrived in near-new condition except for 2 small scratches on the outside cover.  Dell runs sales all the time on their refurb items.. currently, they are having 40% off their 5420's: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops - keep an eye out for the next 7410 sale.. even their 9000 line sometimes has a coupon available.

Hope this helps! - Andy.

sinus

Fine, a very good catch of you, I think.

Enjoy you new "play-toy" ... only a joke, I know, your work is real business. :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

mopperle

Quote from: Jingo on March 11, 2024, 08:11:47 PMI just bought a refurb Dell Latitude 7410 touch which is a 2 in 1 for just over $300 (with coupons/discounts) - pretty amazing price for a laptop that weighs 1.3KG and still carries a fine spec list ( 14-in FHD Touch (1920 x 1080), Intel Core i7 Quad (i7-10610U) 1.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro - Win 11 upgradable). 

The laptop arrived in near-new condition except for 2 small scratches on the outside cover.  Dell runs sales all the time on their refurb items.. currently, they are having 40% off their 5420's: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops - keep an eye out for the next 7410 sale.. even their 9000 line sometimes has a coupon available.

Hope this helps! - Andy.
Looks like a great deal, but unfortunately the link does not work "403 Forbidden".

Mario

Probably a country lock.

Search for dell refurbished deutschland for vendors who offer refurbished Dell and other brands in Germany.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on March 12, 2024, 09:17:43 AMFine, a very good catch of you, I think.

Enjoy you new "play-toy" ... only a joke, I know, your work is real business. :)

Ha!  Yes.. this laptop is a toy for me actually.. something I hook up to my synth and external monitor for piano practice and music creation...  another on my never ending list of hobbies!   8)

stefanjan2

Quote from: Jingo on March 11, 2024, 08:11:47 PMI just bought a refurb Dell Latitude 7410 touch which is a 2 in 1 for just over $300 (with coupons/discounts)
Thanks for the recommendation, amazing price, I'd leap at that one but unfortunately that model does not sell at anything like that price in the UK.
My current old laptop was an amazing deal from Dell outlet. I'm not in a hurry so will keep an eye on the outlet otherwise might buy a later model Inspiron 14 2-in-1 with AMD Ryzen 7 7730U 16GB 1TB seems quite competitively priced brand new.

I take it you have used the 7410 with imatch, does it work well. What about photo editing? Is it any good at that. 

stefanjan2

Just to let you know, I bought a clearance model Lenova Yoga Slim 7 Pro:

RAM 32GB
Storage 1TB m.2
Video Card RTX 3050
Monitor 14.5" 3K (3072x1920) IPS 400nits Anti-glare)

Weighs less than 1.5kg

Think it was a very good deal at GBP 799 and seems to work great with all the software I use.

Still trying to figure out best way to work with photos given the smaller 1TB drive compared to 4GB on my old laptop.

Did try syncing via Resilio Sync with older files on external SSD but didn't play well with my NAS. Also tried keeping older files on the NAS and accessing there from imatch but very slow when viewing.

Best option seems to be to use Synology Drive Client and sync older files as and when I need them. 

Mario

Quoteaccessing there from imatch but very slow when viewing.
This should only be the case when IMatch has the image not cached yet. Or when you work with JPG files, which are by default not cached. See The Cache for more information.

If you work with JPGs and want more speed, let IMatch cache JPG files.
Dial in a suitable cache size and let IMatch automatically purge the cache to get rid of old files not viewed for a long time.

This makes working with files on slow remote media a lot quicker since IMatch does not have to wait for the NAS but can load the file from the local cache on the SSD in virtually no time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2