Friendly Names for Category Bookmarks

Started by Tveloso, April 13, 2024, 02:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tveloso

I would like to resurrect this FR:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,6938.0.html
QuoteSimilar to the way folder Friendly Names work, I'd like to see something like that available for category bookmarks.  Currently for long category name bookmarks I can either scroll clear to the right to see the end name, or if I let my mouse hover over each bookmark I see the full path to the category, but friendly names would be even better.

I have a few Category Bookmarks that all "look identical" (because only the "parent path" is visible).  As John says, we can scroll, or hover the mouse pointer, to see the leaf of the category that the bookmark points to...but it would be nice to be able to rename the bookmarks to something that would identify them at a glance.
--Tony

JohnZeman

Mario

I'm reluctant to make any changes for this feature. These bookmarks are on my "kill" list for some time, since real favorites to a much better job, including user-defined names, descriptions, icons etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

I'll be sad to see the Category Bookmarks feature removed, but I understand if it's something you must do.

In my case, the few Category Bookmarks I have created, are for Data Driven Categories (which I understand we cannot create Favorites for).  So it's just a quick way to go to the category, without having to navigate the Tree.

Perhaps IMatch could allow Category Favorites to be created for DD Categories?...(which would provide only that Go-To Functionality?)...
--Tony

Mario

The limitation regarding data-driven categories is because they have no primary/secondary action.
I could allow to make favs for them, but with the only available action is "Goto"?

Or, maybe enhance favs for 2024/2025 to allow the user to select the left-click, <Shift>-click and <Alt>+click action?
Or maybe make a "Goto" only favorite option?

There are many ways to enhance this, I'm sure. 

And I'd rather put in work into make the overall favorites concept better and more versatile for the next generation instead of spending time fighting with the UI toolkit tree control used for the Bookmarks for Folders and Categories.

Adding a "Rename" operation to Bookmarks should be possible, though. Currently the bookmarks are stored as a list of folder ids only. No way to store text or custom descriptions. This would have to be added, stored, retrieved etc. Favs have all that already, including custom icons, keyboard shortcuts etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Quote from: Mario on April 19, 2024, 04:50:35 PMOr, maybe enhance favs for 2024/2025 to allow the user to select the left-click, <Shift>-click and <Alt>+click action?
Or maybe make a "Goto" only favorite option?
I would prefer to choose by myself which action is assigned to which kind of click (with and without modifier key). If I assign a category often enough to justify a separate Favorite for it, chances are that I also want to jump to it quite often. In this case, I would assign the "Goto" command to regular left-click and the "Assign" / "Unassign" to the clicks with modifiers, all with Favorite. This would save some space in the Favorite panel, compared with having to add a separate "Goto" Favorite.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

JohnZeman

Mario

For IMatch 2024/2025 I have enhanced Favorites to allow the user to select the primary/secondary/goto operation, including "None":

You cannot view this attachment.

If you want to create "safe" Favorites for folders with the primary action (left-click) triggering "goto folder", this is what you would do:

You cannot view this attachment.

The Move/Copy operations are disabled for this favorite, only goto works and is triggered with the primary action (left-click).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

... while talking about Favorites enhancements: I would like to see (the option of) one fixed tab. 
We actually do have a kind of fixed tab already by placing favorites on the file windows toolbar.

And better still might be the ability to free float the various favorites tabs. That would probably get too
messy and confusing for the user.

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on June 20, 2024, 01:39:26 PM... while talking about Favorites enhancements: I would like to see (the option of) one fixed tab.
We actually do have a kind of fixed tab already by placing favorites on the file windows toolbar.

And better still might be the ability to free float the various favorites tabs. That would probably get too
messy and confusing for the user.
Please open your own feature request for this. Better than hijacking another feature request.
Users cannot like two different feature requests and your post will never be considered.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator