Possible to open two file windows to compar contents?

Started by rgdudley, April 19, 2024, 09:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgdudley

I am wondering if there is a way to compare the images in two folders by opening two file windows (side by side?).

Also, is there a technique to locate all images that have duplicate files rather than checking files one by one. :)
R

Tveloso

Quote from: rgdudley on April 19, 2024, 09:28:56 PMAlso, is there a technique to locate all images that have duplicate files rather than checking files one by one. :)
IMatch has several options for finding duplicates:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/search_basics.htm#

...and for immediately identifying new duplicates you may have accidentally added to your IMatch Database:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/rmh_config_indexing.htm#
--Tony

Mario

QuoteI am wondering if there is a way to compare the images in two folders by opening two file windows (side by side?).
You cannot open two File Windows.
What do you want to compare? The image? Metadata? Attributes?

Note that you can select any number of files in a File Window and then open them in a new Result File Window to process them (with <Ctrl>+<G>, <R>).

If the files are in different folders / categories / ... drag them into the IMatch Clipboard and when you have all files together, open them in a Result Window.

If you want to compare dates, sizes, dimensions or other metadata, a tabular File Window Layouts allows you to see all the data at a glance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rgdudley

You asked:  What do you want to compare? The image? Metadata? Attributes?

Actually I was hoping that I could just visually inspect images in two folders side by side to see if I have the same images in both.   Mostly this would be helpful when I am moving images off my iCloud folder into the "proper part" image database.  

I can search for individual duplicates and similar images, and then open that folder to see if I have a series of duplicates (for example from a trip) but would be nice to see the folders side by side.  

R

rgdudley

Quote from: Tveloso on April 20, 2024, 04:39:34 AM
Quote from: rgdudley on April 19, 2024, 09:28:56 PMAlso, is there a technique to locate all images that have duplicate files rather than checking files one by one. :)
IMatch has several options for finding duplicates:

Actually I was wondering if there was a function that would scan a specified part of the database and identify all possible duplicates with an output, perhaps on the dashboard saying "files with possible duplicates".

but I guess that is not available.
R

thrinn

You can select any number of files and use the Search > Duplicates command on them in one go. The result (that is, visual duplicates of all selected files) will be opened in a result window. Isn't this the function you are looking for?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA