Automatic load new files doesn't work anymore

Started by KarsVeling, May 03, 2024, 01:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarsVeling

I have automatic loading new files active and usely all the new files I put in the main folder were loaded, but lately that doesn't. What do I do wrong?

Mario

IMatch monitors all folders contained in your database. When it receives messages from Windows about changes in these folders, it enqueues the folder for a background rescan.
If IMatch starts, it automatically checks all folders in the database and compares the "last modified on disk" timestamp with what's in the database. If there is a difference, the folders are enqueued to rescan.

The settings you use are the defaults and they should work just fine.

What has change on your system?
Does IMatch mark folders with the blue "needs update" indicator icon? If not, it has not found anything that has changed.

Switch IMatch to debug logging via Help menu > Support.
If you are sure there are new or updated files in a folder, what happens when you choose "Rescan Now..." from the context menu?
Make a copy of the log file afterward via Help menu > Support. ZIP and attach the file.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KarsVeling

Thanks for your Quick reply Mario,
I see now that the files are loaded, I see the number of unassigned files grow, but the photo's don't show up in the unassigned category.
Kars

Mario

Are they really unassigned? What does the File Category Panel or Category Panel show for these files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KarsVeling

Hai, 
They are in the timeline (see the first screenshot), but the unassigned folder shows only tumbnales until april 14 (see the second screenshot). But the number of unassigned files grows when new photo's are loaded.

Adding images doesn't work. When I try that I get the link-adding info.

Greetings, Kars

Mario

I assume you mean the unassigned category, not some folder, correct?

Select one of the files you have added that is not in the unassigned category in a File Window.
Then open the Categories Panel and click on the "Current" tab to see all categories for that file.

The official Unassigned Files category created for new databases by IMatch uses the "@Unassigned" category formula to grab all files not directly assigned to a category (excluding @Keywords and data-driven categories). Can you confirm that your unassigned category uses this formula?

If it is only named "Unassigned" it may be a different category.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

KarsVeling

Hi Mario, Thanks. The category is named 'niet toegewezen bestanden' in Dutch, without the @.
But, as far as I know, I haven't changed anything, and it always used to contain all the new files. And now it does too (seeing the number), but I don't see the thumbnails.

And still, when I try to use the button 'insert an image' I get the add link option.

Greetings, Kars

Mario

Which formula does this category use? You can see the formula in the properties panel below the categories tree in the Category View.

QuoteAnd now it does too (seeing the number), but I don't see the thumbnails.
I don't understand. Seeing which number? "Don't see thumbnails" meaning the category does not show the files you expect it to show? I've asked above to show me what the category panel shows for the files in question, but you did not so far. If the files have categories, they won't show in the standard "Unassigned Files" category. But I don't know.

QuoteAnd still, when I try to use the button 'insert an image' I get the add link option.

Where is that button? I don't recall a button what that name? Add a link to what?
It's usually helpful to include a screen shot of what you are seeing/doing and attach it to your post.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Tveloso

Quote from: KarsVeling on May 04, 2024, 07:20:51 PMAnd now it does too (seeing the number), but I don't see the thumbnails.
Do you mean the number in parentheses, next to the category name?

If this number grows when you add new files, but those files are not visible in the file window, could it simply be that you have a filter active?  If that's the case, the file window caption car will be blue, and the numbers at the right of the caption bar will indicate the number of files shown, followed by the total files in the category (in parentheses).

Or perhaps you're using a sort profile for the file window, that places the new files in a relative location that differs from where you expect?...(so you don't see them for that reason, and must scroll the file window in order to see them under the current sort?)
--Tony

Mario

Good points. An active filter / search bar / QuickFilter ribbon crossed my mind, but i forgot to mention it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

KarsVeling

Thanks Mario and Tony,
it was a stupid mistake. One of my camera's had 2025 in the date. Of course that files always were on top, so it seemed it did'nt change. Sorry to have bothered you.

But one little thing left :-): when I want to insert an image in this post I get the insert a link.

Cheers, Kars

Mario

QuoteBut one little thing left :-): when I want to insert an image in this post I get the insert a link.
If you use the Quick Reply box, you'll need to press Preview once to get the other options, including appending files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator