Disable preview of images in timeline?

Started by leifel, May 08, 2024, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leifel

Hi,

is it a way that I can disable the preview of images in the hovering tooltip of the Timeline-panel?

I have poked around, but cannot find any such option.

Even better if I can have it generally disabled, but explicitly enable if for example by holding the Control-key (or something) while hovering.

I suspect the image preview nagging the CPU a lot while hovering, and I am usually not interested in the previews, since when I access the Timeline-panel it is usually just to browse directly into a specific date, and I want that operation to be as quick and snappy as possible while looking it up. The tooltip just comes in the way and nags me.

Kind regards

Mario

These tooltips are usually nearly instant and need almost no CPU. Just loading a few thumbnails from the database.
I don't see how this could cause any impact on your CPU at all. What makes you think that?

The thumbnail tip is triggered when the mouse remains stationary for about one second for the first time, and then it "follows" the mouse, showing after 200ms when a new "target" is selected.
IMatch loads the thumbnails from the database and shows the popup. The typical load time for the full set is less than 0.3 seconds. This makes not even a blip on the CPU chart in Task Manager.

You can disable thumb tips under Edit menu > Preferences > Application. Search for thumb t.
Make sure the "Show extended setting" check box is ticket to also show rarely used options in this dialog.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

leifel

Thanks, much better for me now after I have disabled those Thumbnail Tooltips. I was unaware I could disable them directly in the View-menu :)

Regarding your CPU-comments, - as I said, I "suspected" the tooltips to be the reason for CPU nagging. Now that they are off I see that the CPU nagging is still there. So, I agree the tooltips are not the reason for it. It is probably all the stuff that happens when clicking around in the Timeline-nodes that makes the user experience a bit sluggish.

Mario

Show us a log file in DEBUG logging mode (Help menu > Support > ...) (see log file).
This will show us execution timings for IMatch operations and maybe we can find sometime.

1. Make sure your database is on your fastest disk (SSD much preferred)
2. Usually, when IMatch is "slow" and your database has less than 500,000 files, the virus checker may be the culprit.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

leifel

After adding "C:\Program Files\photools.com\imatch6\IMatch2023x64.exe" to the Windows 11 Antivirus Real Time Scanning Exclusion I find IMatch to be generally somewhat quicker here and there. But still, when navigating around, I think there are some delays, and there are some screen blinking and mouse cursor flashing that makes the UI appear a little sluggish. Not that it hurts, but anyway.

You asked for a log-file. And here it is.
This is with a small amount of time clicking around in the Timeline-tree.
Let me know if you want any more details.

Mario

This is a smaller database with about 80K files. Nothing should be slow with this database.
Your computer reports 32 processor cores and 64GB of memory. Quite a beefy box.

But, when IMatch starts, 75% of the available memory is already in use! Which seems to indicate that there is something "heavy" running (or you run Photoshop).

There are no "slow" operations logged, except for starting IMatch and loading the database. Which takes 15 seconds, which seems to be on the slower side. Is the folder (!) containing the database excluded in your virus checker?

The File Window loads in between 0.05s and 0.4s - depending on the number of files. This is very OK.
Cache files are loaded from disk into GPU memory in between 0.1 and 0.4s. This is because you have the Quick Preview Panel open. It's the "slowest" operation in the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

leifel

There are multiple Virtual Machines running on my system, and those spend a lot of RAM, but they are idle.
I have full "control" of my CPUs (I monitor them all the time).
They are almost completely idle while working with IMatch.

But please don't spend any more time on this.
There is nothing worth dwelling upon in this regard.

Thanks for your help, and for a good product.
Keep up the good work 👍