"Rescan Needed" not showing "Yes" after folder was added outside of IMATCH

Started by kiwilink, December 11, 2013, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Under "Media and Folders" is the "Properties View".  I added a folder outside of IMATCH and then I clicked on the directory that had the folder within it.  It was my understanding that when I clicked on that directory it would say "Yes" for "rescan needed". 

I then went to  "Edit" and "Preferences" and I checked  "Advanced File Monitoring" and then closed the database and reopened it.  Still, IMATCH doesn't know I added the new folder outside of IMATCH.  In  IMATCH 3.6  when I clicked on a folder that I had modified outside of IMATCH a message pops up saying "the contents of the folder has changed..." .  I assumed that the "rescan needed - yes or no" in Imatch 5  replaced this functionality.

So, my question is "what is the purpose of "Rescan Needed"?  I think someone asked this question before but I can't find it.

Thanks!

P.S.  I have include subfolders checked under indexing in the preferences dropdown

Mario

You have enabled advanced monitoring after the fact.

To bring in new folders, right-click the folder and choose "Rescan" or press the corresponding keyboard shortcut.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Thanks for replying.  I know how to do a rescan or use the keyboard to bring in new folders.  What I am trying to understand is "what has to occur in IMATCH for the "Rescan Needed" to say "Yes"?

It was my understanding that this "Yes" or "No" flag will occur when IMATCH recognizes that a new folder has been added outside of IMATCH.

I just closed IMATCH, added a new folder outside of IMATCH as a test, and opened it back up and waited about 45 minutes but the "Rescan needed" still says no.  What makes "Rescan needed" change to a yes?

Thanks for all your help. 

Mario

IMatch does not add folders automatically to the database (unless you create them in IMatch).

This is what happens:

1. I add a folder TEST to a database.
2. I close the database.
3. In Windows Explorer, I add a sub-folder SUB to TEST.
4. I re-open the database in IMatch.
5. For a very short time, IMatch shows the "folder updated" icon. It automatically scans the folder for new or updated files, then removes the icon.

When advanced file system monitoring is on, IMatch adds new folders you create outside of IMatch while the database is open. If you create folders outside of IMatch while no database is open, you need to manually rescan the parent folder to bring the new folders in. Maybe you don't want these folders in IMatch anyway.

The rescan command will completely refresh the folder, add/removing/updating files and sub-folders as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks for the reply.  Under what scenario would "Rescan Needed? show "yes"?

See attached.

Thanks

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Change some files outside IMatch. Does the folder show up as modified and "need rescan"?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Mario:

I added a picture from the WIN7 sample pictures folder to one of my folders in IMATCH while IMATCH was closed.  I then opened up IMATCH and no change.  I then closed IMATCH and opened the picture in photoshop and cropped it and then resaved over it.  I then opened up IMATCH and no change in the "Rescan Needed".  I then closed IMATCH and added an entire folder using Windows Explorer.  I then opened IMATCH and no change in the "Rescan Needed".

So far nothing is making this "Rescan Needed" flag change from a "No" to a "Yes".

Let me know what else I can try.

Thanks Mario!

Mike

P.S.  I clicked on Metadata Writeback and chose "All pending files".  I then went into the Application log and I saw the attached error.  Not sure if this is related or not.  There was a message about read only so I went into Windows Explorer and went to properties and clicked took the read only flag off.

[attachment deleted by admin]