Very slow IMatch

Started by ChasS, May 07, 2024, 10:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasS

My IMatch is running incredibly slow. Get notice of problems running ExifTool reading or writing metadata. Can't find any reference to it being block in anti-virus. Some files have been opened with IrfanView but others not touched by other software. Doing a ContShift F5 force update on about 100 files in folder estimated time was 55 hours.

No real changes since it was running normally other than Imatch and Windows 10 updates. Have run database diagnostics and compact.

Mario

Hi, please always include a log file if you report such issues.
The log file includes timing information, warnings recorded by IMatch or ExifTool etc.

See log file for more information.

In my experience, if such a sudden decrease in performance happens together with ExifTool execution problems, the virus checker is the culprit.

Add an "exception" (term varies per anti-virus product) for the folder containing your IMatch database and also for IMatch itself (C:\Program Files\Accessories\imatch6\IMatch2023x64.exe) and see if this solves the problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChasS

Have sent log file. Had or at least thought I had turned off virus protection compleatly to test this at one point. Seem to have multiple ExifTools listed and about 7 IMatch listed as exceptions. Any particular one?

After making changes in the anti-virus checker restarting IMatch somehow it wanted to recheck 208,000 files with an 84 hour time. Still not showing the proper image but a bluered one or nothing in some of most receant download.

Mario

As I wrote, you need to exclude the IMatch version " C:\Program Files\Accessories\imatch6\IMatch2023x64.exe". Not sure why you have multiple entries. One is sufficient. If your virus checker blocks ExifTool, also make an exception for the C:\Program Files\Accessories\imatch6\exiftools.exe". But that's rarely needed when IMatch is excluded.

Which virus checker are you using?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChasS

My virus protection is just the built in Windows 10 one. Not sure how it came up with the multiple IMatch listings. I don't run IM from the C:\drive its on a applications drive F:\ . I have now listed the whole imatch6 folder to the exclusions list.

Maybe the multiple copies of IM come from historical as have been using it through many itterations and Windows Security may not tidy up old referances.

Mario

QuoteI have now listed the whole imatch6 folder to the exclusions list.
Don't do that. It greatly increases the attack surface.
If some malicious code can copy an executable into the IMatch folder, Windows Defender will no longer protect you!
Excluding the IMatch executable is usually sufficient. Windows Defender usually does not get in the way.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ChasS

I've removed the folder permisions. I did want to just check and with it on a new batch of photos cleared IMatch reasonably OK. Now will just need to wait till I do another batch.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

ChasS

Updating my virus exclusion has certainly helped, but also finding that if I update a folder it wants to rewrite metadata for over 200,000 files each time, hence the 35hr (oops its now 28hr) to process times. I clear the write back queue and back normal, but newly processed files are left in a half processed state (blurred image). If I then do a forced update with just those images selected its back to the whole database trying to update. Somewhere I have something wrong.

Mario

It is normal that files coming into the database need a write-back - since the metadata IMatch produces is rich and complete.

Adding or updating a folder does not cause any write-backs - unless you have enabled automatic write-back under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing. This is off by default.

IMatch just marks the files as pending and waits until you trigger the write-back via the corresponding commands in the Commands menu or by clicking the pen icon.

Don't clear queues. This is a last resort that may leave your database in a half-state - like files having been marked and enqueued for import never finishing since you emptied the queue. Don't.

Always include the log file (see log file) in ZIPped form and maybe some screen shots so we see what's going on. It's not uncommon for new users to misinterpret or misread messages IMatch shows and all that.

hen there's terms used. Updating a folder can mean many things. Usually you don't "update" folders. IMatch automatically imports new and modified files in the background. What do you mean by "if I update a folder". What exactly do you do?

The more we know, the better we can help you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ChasS

But the new files in a folder never update, just sit in that sort of half way state. Thats why I ended up doing the Forced Update.

Mario

Quote from: ChasS on May 10, 2024, 05:03:36 PMBut the new files in a folder never update, just sit in that sort of half way state. Thats why I ended up doing the Forced Update.
This is caused by you forcefully clearing the queues. The files have been marked for import, but can never finish since the queue is empty. Forcing an update is the only solution in this case. But that does not trigger write-backs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Thanks for sending the log file.
Your computer has only 4 processor cores, which makes me assume that it is an older PC.
I will know more when you answer the questions in my email about your drive setup.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator