Album View Issue - Empty View

Started by Mike, May 10, 2024, 07:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hello,

Are there any restrictions on the number of folders or files included in the album? Or could this be a bug, unfavorable settings or special system requirements?

It seems to work for all needed folders except one. The problem folder contains 6992 subfolders and approximately 498000 files. It is a flat hierarchy, all subfolders are at the same level. iMatch opens the album view but does not display any content. The other folders for which iMatch works all have fewer than 1000 subfolders.

Thanks

Mario

That's probably waaay out of the spec for this view. I believe I have tested this up to 1,000 sub-folders and it kinda worked.

~7,000 sub-folders on one level is quite unusual.
I shall add a check to the Album View and display an error message in this case so the user knows.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I have now added a limit of 500 tiles (sub-folders, child categories). If this limit is exceeded, the Album View displays a message.

500 tiles is tolerably fast and I doubt many users will ever exceed this.
A folder with 7,000 child folders is rather unusual and probably a nightmare to maintain anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mike

The message makes sense.

The large number of subfolders resulted from the technical connection of programs with cumbersome export/import functions and was by far the fastest way in the context at the time - even if I didn't love it. I can now proceed differently thanks to various upgrades, but unfortunately the implementation will still take some time. But at least now I know what's going on.

Thanks!

Jingo

Outside the scope of this.. but I often deal with users sending me large amount of photos in many many subfolders that get cumbersome to deal with in when creating albums in Indesign.  

I found the freeware program Folder Merger (by 2XDSOFT) does a good job with this and saves me a ton of time cutting/pasting.  I also wrote a script in XYPlorer that does the same if you happen to use that program.  Just thought I would share in case it is helpful!

Mike

Thank you for the tips! Unfortunately I don't use XYplorer, but I'll keep the Folder Merger in mind in case this type of merge becomes important.

Mario

Unless you deal with massive numbers of folders, a very easy way to merge files from different folders is of course the IMatch Clipboard.

Just collect the files from the folders in the clipboard, them move them with a single click into the target folder.
This is also helpful when you need to bring together files from different categories into another category. Or copy files in different categories into a folder.

The IMatch clipboard is often overlooked, but it is a big help for tasks like this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mike

I agree, the clipboard is a very nice feature that I actually use quite often.
I just haven't tried it for larger amounts of data yet.