XMP keyword counter

Started by mosdubindi1, May 14, 2024, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosdubindi1

Hello Mario,

I need to have counter for XMP keywords. It is helpful to control number of non-hierarchical keywords for stock sites. Unfortunately I cannot find solution for this in IMatch. Could you pls. help?

BR,
Dmitry

Mario

You can use this variable

{File.MD.hierarchicalkeywords|count:true}

in VarToy or in a custom File Window layout (in a custom template) to see the number of keywords assigned to a file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mosdubindi1

Thank you Mario,

{File.MD.hierarchicalkeywords|count:true} returns number of hierarchical keywords, which gives 1 in the given example. However from stock agency point of view there are 6 keywords separated by comma in my case.

Keywords: LOCATION (1), Austria (2), Vienna (3), Wien (4), Innere Stadt (5), Vindobona (6)

Is it possible to get counter using such logic - each XMP value within list separator (defined in Metadata Preferences) is equal to 1 keyword?

Mario

I see. You force IMatch to break hierarchies into individual keywords.
In that case, just use XMP subject tag for the variable:

{File.MD.subject|count:true}

Variables allow you to access any metadata tag, either via a convenient shortcode or via the full tag key.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mosdubindi1

Thank you Mario, it is fine with me.

Mario

I have thought about this and decided to make a small change to the Metadata Panel.
It now displays the number of keywords permanently for XMP::subject, XMP::hierarchicalSubject and IPTC::Keywords:

rn_2023_10_001.jpg

This should be helpful for all photographers which have to follow strict rules for the number of minimal and maximal allowed keywords. Without the need to use variables in File Window layouts.

All you need to do is to include the flat keyword tag in one of your MD panel layouts. It is read-only (since IMatch maintains it) but it shows the number of keywords.

Same for hierarchicalSubject. When you click into the field, it shows the number of characters like all other tags, and when you select it, it shows the number of keywords again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

This is very nice.

We can also see the number of letters in e.g. the description or headline in the metadata panel.
Which is very cool!
But this is only displayed when you click in the metadata field.
Which is a pity, it would be great if this was also displayed when you just click on the thumbnail, because then I could simply go from thumb to thumb and see the amount of letters.

Question:
Is that also the case here?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The Metadata Panel displays the number of characters only when the editor is active. This has not changed.
Add a feature request for your requirement and let's see how many users would like that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

graham1

Quote from: sinus on May 16, 2024, 02:09:21 PMThis is very nice.
We can also see the number of letters in e.g. the description or headline in the metadata panel.
Which is very cool!
But this is only displayed when you click in the metadata field.
Which is a pity, it would be great if this was also displayed when you just click on the thumbnail, because then I could simply go from thumb to thumb and see the amount of letters.
Question:
Is that also the case here?
You can already do this.  The attachments are one of my thumbnails and the Layout Editor settings to achieve this.

Thumbnail.JPGLayoutEditor.JPG
Graham

graham1

Oops, the footer settings were a bit cut off - here are the missing entries.

Graham

Jingo

I think Markus was saying it would be nice to see the counters in the Metadata panel without having to click into the panel directly when navigating via thumbnails... I could be wrong too. 

I also include keyword values and rating details in my thumbnails (see below - the power of IM!).. but it would be convenient to see these additional counts directly in the panel.

g0h0lWJg9S.png

Mario

QuoteI think Markus was saying it would be nice to see the counters in the Metadata panel without having to click into the panel directly when navigating via thumbnails... I could be wrong too.
That is what I understood myself, too.
But I think that this would cause too much clutter, making things look a lot more noisy. I doubt many users really need to know how many characters a description or a title has all the time. For keywords, this makes sense, especially for stock photographers.

I might be wrong. Hence my suggestion to @sinus to add a separate feature request.

And yes, you can show the information in a File Window layout via variables, if needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks Jingo, and Mario

You are both correct, like Andy wrote "... it would be nice to see the counters in the Metadata panel without having to click into the panel directly when navigating via thumbnails."

But before I make a FR (and maybe work for Mario) I will think again about this.
BTW, the reason is mostly, because I work a lot with D&P, and there you can not see all text, if it has more letters then the size of the text-field in D&P allow.

Hence it would be nice before I open D&P to see, if the letters in the description - field (and maybe headline) is not too big.

I will think about this, but thanks for mention it, Andy.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

graham1

Quote from: sinus on May 19, 2024, 06:12:40 PMYou are both correct, like Andy wrote "... it would be nice to see the counters in the Metadata panel without having to click into the panel directly when navigating via thumbnails."
I of course realised this. 

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that my point was that if the number of keywords is visible in the thumbnail footer, that entirely obviates the need to click into the panel at all when navigating via thumbnails, because the required information is shown in each thumbnail all the time.  Nevertheless, if having the information always on display, as Mario is implementing, helps some users, all well and good, but there are already ways to see that information for each image without clicking into the Metadata panel.

Graham

PandDLong

Quote from: sinus on May 19, 2024, 06:12:40 PMBTW, the reason is mostly, because I work a lot with D&P, and there you can not see all text, if it has more letters then the size of the text-field in D&P allow.

Hence it would be nice before I open D&P to see, if the letters in the description - field (and maybe headline) is not too big.

I have a similar situation with D&P where I want to make sure certain fields will "fit".

I created a File Window Layout that tests for all of the situations that may cause a problem for a D&P layout in the footers.  I use icons which are only displayed if there is a problem - I find it pretty quick to look at a large number of files and find the ones that may cause a problem - then I go to the metadata panel and make changes until the icon(s) disappear for that file.

After experimenting, I found this method where the footers are clear unless there is a problem, makes it very quick as I am not really reading anything - just looking for icons.

Food for thought.

Michael