keep losing my place

Started by timoteo, May 22, 2024, 06:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

I keep losing my place in imatch. I'm working on a set of photos in a folder, stacking some, rejecting others, sometimes physically deleting them. I also edit files in Photoshop/C1/ etc and save the changes back to another folder, then drag-and-drop the file into the final destination folder.

The problem I have is if that I fairly often lose my place in my folder when I am doing some of these things. Just now I was stacking photos, rejected some, etc. and suddenly I'm at the end of the folder. I don't know how to get back to the files I was just working on. I tried ctrl-Z to undo whatever I just did but that didn't do anything.

Sometimes I switch to another folder and drag-and-drop in image from that folder into the folder I was working in and that causes me to lose my place also.

Is there some way to get back to the files I was working with before imatch jumped away? 

Mario

When you perform operations that change the contents of the File Window you're working in, the File Window will have to reload. For example, you select the focused and/or selected files. They no longer exist when the File Window reloads. The File Window then focuses the next logical file, e.g. the file after the last deleted file (depends on the sort order).

The File Window also tries to bring the focused file into view after such operations, to keep it visible.
This was often criticized by users who are in the habit to scroll the File Window without moving the focused file, e.g. with the wheel. When a user scrolls the focused file out of view for some reason, then the File Window has to reload for some reason, scrolling back the File Window to bring the focused file into View does not fit well with these users workflow.
So the File Window tries to restore the last scroll position after a reload.

You list many quite different operations in your post, and it is unclear to me which of these operations actually creates the problem. Let me know if you have specific steps which allow me to reproduce this.

Did you know that the File Window offers keyword shortcuts to navigate to the first selected, last selected and the focused file? You find them in the Keyboard Cheat Sheet, right at the top in the the File Window Navigation  section, and also in the Additional Functions section in the File Window context menu.

For example, Ctrl+G, O brings the focused file into view.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook