Portrait oriented pictures displayed in Landscape in File Window

Started by jelvers, June 03, 2024, 05:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelvers

Since the latest IMatch Update all photos – also with Portrait orientation  - are displayed in landscape. Before, they were rotated automatically in the correct display orientation. I am pretty sure, I did not change anything, or at least I can't recall.
I couldn't find anything in PREFERENCES  nor in the HELP section to solve the issue.
Your help is appreciated.
Regards, Juergen

Mario

Nothing has changed in the code related to this.

Once a thumbnail has been generated, it shows the same way always. So I guess you talk about new files added to the database?
Which file format are we talking about? RAW files? In that case, do you use WIC or LibRaw?
Which camera model? A sample image would also be nice so I can try it here.

Do you perhaps accidentally applied a virtual rotation to the files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jelvers

It concerns newly added RAW files (CR2).
When I process the photo to the jpg format, the portrait orientation is displayed as expected. It doesn't work only in the case of the RAW pictures. And that did not happen until recently. They´also were shown with the correct orientaion. 
I am not aware of using WIC or LibRaw. How can I check it?
Camera: Canon EOS 5d
I have only applied virtually rotation in order to rotate the picture to portrait, so after the "wrong" orientation has been shown.

Re sample image: I cannot attach a CR2 file. How to send it to you?

Regards, Juergen

Mario

QuoteI am not aware of using WIC or LibRaw. How can I check it?
By default IMatch uses the standard WIC codecs provided by Windows.
Actually, your camera vendor should provide you with a WIC codec that produces high-quality output for the proprietary RAW files you use, but Canon does not care enough for the customers anymore.

Check Edit menu > Preferences > Application. Search for RAW. If "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" is No, you're using WIC codecs. And if the problem happened recently, either the CR2 format you use has changed or the WIC codec from Microsoft has changed and no longer properly supports the RAW format you use. The fun with undocumented and proprietary RAW formats, you'll never know.

Set photools.com RAW processing to Yes, close the dialog with OK.
Select a file that has the wrong orientation and press <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> and then "Force Update". This will re-read the file but with LibRaw processing. Maybe LibRaw better understands the rotation of your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jelvers

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I checked the options in <Preferences>. The only option under <photools.RAW.Processing> that worked correctly, was to set <Rotate embedded preview (WIC)> to <yes>. But the actual updating process takes "ages" and isn't really practical. Interestingly your recommended option works as well, however turns the picture by 180 degrees instead of 90. 

Perhaps I have to live with it, but it's funny though, that until recentl it worked quite well for my Raw Files as well.

Rgds Juergen

Mario

Did you enable photools.com RAW processing and rescanned an image?
The "Rotate embedded preview" is a last-resort fallback when the camera messed up the rotation information in such a way that neither Windows WIC nor LibRaw can figure out how to rotate the image.

Per definition, the embedded preview should be rotated correctly by the camera (orientation: normal). Or, if the camera does not do that, the embedded preview needs its own EXIF record with orientation info so WIC/LibRaw can tell what's what.

IMatch asks WIC/LibRaw after import how the image should be rotated and does that. If the rotation info IMatch gets (from both libraries in your case) is wrong, IMatch has no way to tell.

Quotefunny though, that until recentl it worked quite well for my Raw Files as well.
Did you install a firmware update in your camera?
Do you use the latest version of Windows 11?

Do you have WIC codecs other than the standard Windows WIC codecs installed?
Some users still have the ancient FastRawViewer codecs installed which are out-of-support for almost a decade.
Run a WIC diagnosis via Help menu > Support > WIC Diagnostics to see which WIC codecs are installed.

Send me a sample image to support email address so I can have a look. Who knows what Canon changed this time.

This is the risk I always warn about using undocumented RAW formats under the control of a camera vendor. You are totally dependent on Windows, underfunded open source projects like LibRaw or corporations like Adobe to process the images you have have created with the camera you have paid for.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Problem solved via enabling photools.com RAW processing.
Thanks for your great help.
Regards, Juergen