Program update

Started by pmcabinet, June 11, 2024, 10:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcabinet

I had to cancel the latest update installation part way through. Now I cannot find iMatch on my PC - it looks like the program has been uninstalled, and I cannot find the downloaded update to restart it. Where should I look? (None of the existing shortcuts work.) Please tell me my database has not been deleted!

The latest database backup I have is from 20/05/2024 - many images have been added since then.

I hope there's a simple answer. Fingers crossed.

axel.hennig

Hi,

if the program was uninstalled (not sure how this could happen), your IMatch database should still be on your computer.

The IMatch "program" (the exe to double-click which opens IMatch should be here:
C:\Program Files\photools.com\imatch6\IMatch2023x64.exe

You can just download and (re-)install IMatch. If it is already on your computer, it will be just "updated" (independently if it is already on the newest version), otherwise it will be installed.

Backup: If you add many images to your IMatch database run your backup-software afterwards. I recommend to run a backup at least every day.

pmcabinet

Phew! Thank you axel.hennig. I downloaded the program again (photools.com/customer) and the up-to-date database has been restored after installation.

You are of course so completely right about backups; I had grown casual because iMatch seemed to be so reliable. Lesson learned!

Many thanks.

philburton

Not to be a nag or overly strict, but daily backups are critical, particularly with SSD or NVMe drives. With mechanical "spinning rust" you will get warnings, such as squeals or increased read/write times.  With SSD and NVMe, which have no moving parts, the drive can go "poof" without warning.

Oh and one more thing.  Do the backups to a different physical drive than the drive with all your data.