Initial Questions - Just getting started with iMatch evaluation

Started by philburton, June 22, 2024, 07:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philburton

I just instlled the iMatch trial.  Then I created 4 different databases, 1 each for my drives C-F.  How is it that the catalogs except for E are all about 20.7 MB?  Is there some minimum size for a database?  Drive E, my photo partition, is 4.3 GB.

I am receiving the attached error message.  How do I address this issue?  Note that I use Norton Security + MalwareBytes Pro

Can I extract just a subset of my Drive E database for use with Outlook?  My full Drive E contains many photos that I have not yet screened/culled or imported into Lightroom.  IF I understand the basic iMatch paradigm, iMatch will add files and metadata as needed into the Lightroom catalog, and I don't want all those not-imported photos to be added into the Lightroom catalog "automatically."

Thanks for not just telling me to RTFM.  I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the features in iMatch.

Mario

Looks like your virus checker prevents IMatch from opening the telemetry database.
This does not hurt IMatch operation, but will add many additional log file entries for each failed attempt.

You can just delete the telemetry database while IMatch is not running. IMatch creates it again automatically.

"C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imatch.tdb"

Why do you create 4 databases?
IMatch easily handles up to one million assets in a single database (on a suitable PC) and most users never see the need to have more than one database. Maybe a small test database to try things out.

You can manage images and other files from all your disks in one IMatch database.
IMatch does not have the limits of "maximum number of assets per catalog" you may have encountered with other software.

QuoteiMatch will add files and metadata as needed into the Lightroom catalog,

No. Misunderstanding.

IMatch does not do anything to Lightroom catalogs. It does not know about Lightroom and does not care.

Many IMatch users have learned that having a separate DAM makes it easy to switch to another RAW processor. And then left Lightroom behind.

It manages everything in it's own database and is independent from Lightroom or other Adobe products.
It works as well when you use DxO, Capture One, Affinity products or Windows Paint.

IMatch has no idea about which files you manage in Lightroom catalogs.
IMatch works with the files you add to your IMatch database. Which can be the same images you work in Lightroom with (usually is), completely different files or a combination of files you work with in Lightroom and video, PDF, Office and other files Lightroom cannot even manage.

Create one database on your FASTEST disk (SSD).
Index the file you want to manage in IMatch as shown in Indexing Folders and Files
Have fun doing DAM in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

QuoteWhy do you create 4 databases?
Maybe because he thinks about havinfg 4 drives.

But as Mario said, this doesnt matter. When you create a database as described here:
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/base_firststeps.htm?dl=hid-3
this database is not related to any drive.

After creating the database you add your pictures by adding folders to the database so that the database knows where your pictures are located:
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/rmh_dlg_scanfolder.htm?dl=hid-4
And it does matter whether the files/folders are on drive C or D or wherever.
I myself have only one database and told the database in which folders (by adding them) my files are located. And my files are spread over various folders and drives.

QuoteThanks for not just telling me to RTFM.  I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the features in iMatch
Even after years of using it, I discover new features. But Yes, RTFM, at least watch these videos:
https://www.photools.com/imatch-learning-center/
😉

mopperle

Onè more hint (also mentioned in the help system):
When you have created your database, there is no need to add all you folders containing picture at once.
Start with a maybe smaller folder, add teis folder to the database and learn to get used to IMatch.

And once again, there is no connection/relation between Lightroom and IMatch. Lightroom doesnt know anything about IMatch and vice versa.

philburton

QuoteYou can just delete the telemetry database while IMatch is not running. IMatch creates it again automatically.

"C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imatch.tdb"
OK I did that.
QuoteWhy do you create 4 databases?
IMatch easily handles up to one million assets in a single database (on a suitable PC) and most users never see the need to have more than one database. Maybe a small test database to try things out.
I am still in the early stages of exploring iMatch.  it's an awesome piece of software, but it does have a learning curve, which includes adapting iMatch to match my way of managing my PC.
C- Windows + programs
D -All "data" that I create.  Includes my Lightroom catalog and now my iMatch database(s).
E- Media. Music, book PDFs, and of course all my photo files, NEFs and JPGs.  Also for want of a better location, my Apple iTunes libraries.
F- All software downloads, firmware downloads (for Nikon camera) and install files.  Also user manuals and related content that I did not create. 

If I have a single iMatch database for all drives C-F, then my concern is that could be a lot of "duplicates" between software installed in Drive C and the source install files on Drive F.  However to validate that concern I am about to create a single iMatch DB, which will probably require an overnight run to complete.

philburton

Quote from: Mario on June 22, 2024, 10:13:22 AM
QuoteiMatch will add files and metadata as needed into the Lightroom catalog,

No. Misunderstanding.

IMatch does not do anything to Lightroom catalogs. It does not know about Lightroom and does not care.

I think my point of confusion comes from this document. https://www.photools.com/3172/adobe-lightroom-imatch-5/.  From this document:

When you manage files in IMatch and process these files in Adobe Lightroom, IMatch stays in control of the entire process. You can launch Lr directly from within IMatch, you can drag files from IMatch to the Lr application window to open/import them etc.

Changes made to files and metadata in Lightroom (e.g. when you edit a rating, label, title, description or keywords) are automatically recognized by IMatch and it re-imports the files to keep your IMatch database up-to-date. IMatch also records such events in the file history so you can always track back and see who changed which files.

When I first read this document, I somehow assumed that files added into iMatch would automatically be added to Lightroom catalog, since XMP changes done in iMatch are automatically reflected in the Lightroom catalog.  My mistake.  However, that still raises the issue of which files newly imporeted in iMatch need to be dragged-and-dropped into Lightroom, especially if those new files cover a range of dates. I use a date-based structure for my photo files.   

I now realize that I need to actually set up a Lightroom test catalog and then "import" photos from iMatch. Until I do that, I should not be asking more questions. I'm sorry if my lack of understanding has created problems or extra effort for anyone.

QuoteMany IMatch users have learned that having a separate DAM makes it easy to switch to another RAW processor. And then left Lightroom behind.

It manages everything in it's own database and is independent from Lightroom or other Adobe products.

I see no reason at present to switch to a different RAW processor.  In addition to Lightroom's own features, which are being enhanced by AI, there is an amazing ecosystem of plug-ins for Lightroom, which no other RAW processor can even begin to match.  Some people have compared output from Capture/One and preferred it to Lightroom, but that is often a matter of the value of settings for contrast, luminance, and other DEVELOP features.

Maybe at some point, I will stop using the DAM features in Lightroom, in preference for using only iMatch, but time is a long ways off. However, as soon as possible, I will start doing photo keywords and metadata in iMatch. 

QuoteIMatch works with the files you add to your IMatch database. Which can be the same images you work in Lightroom with (usually is), completely different files or a combination of files you work with in Lightroom and video, PDF, Office and other files Lightroom cannot even manage.

I need some time to work out my overall Lightroom workflow to include iMatch, and I expect that over time, more of the Lightroom LIBRARY workflow will shift over to iMatch. 

Mario

QuoteI see no reason at present to switch to a different RAW processor.  In addition to Lightroom's own features, which are being enhanced by AI, there is an amazing ecosystem of plug-ins for Lightroom, which no other RAW processor can even begin to match. 
Whatever works for you is good. Other users found that software like DxO or Capture One produces better quality for their images. It's all up to personal preferences and taste. If your DAM is separate, you can easily exchange the RAW development software if you find something better.

QuoteHowever, that still raises the issue of which files newly imporeted in iMatch need to be dragged-and-dropped into Lightroom,
Yes. Lightroom was not designed for collaboration. For example, when you drag & drop an image from IMatch (or Windows Explorer or...) into the Library module, Lr will always open the entire folder. You cannot add selected files directly to a catalog. This is just how it works in Lightroom.

QuoteMaybe at some point, I will stop using the DAM features in Lightroom, in preference for using only iMatch, 
That's the common approach among IMatch users who use Lightroom as a RAW developer. IMatch can do everything Lr does regarding metadata, and then a lot more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

philburton

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  Now I have do some experiments and some exploration.  And RTFM. :)