Locations and Keywords

Started by bobneedshelp, July 24, 2024, 04:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobneedshelp

I have just set up the Geocoding (and reverse geocoding) provider (GeoNames).  I'm having a little difficulty understanding a few concepts.  I have labeled a few photos just to test with.

On the dashboard, I see "Locations" and it lets me select a specific country and see the photos from that country.  How would I drill down to say all photos in a state or city for the selected country?  I'm not sure how to filter down to a specific state either?

Do I need to set up keywords to do this sort of drill down, like:
WHERE|{File.MD.country|default:NO COUNTRY}|{File.MD.city|default:NO CITY}|{File.MD.location|default:NO LOCATION}

I am trying to understand if I can drill down etc just using locations and perhaps filtering vs creating hierarchical keywords to do that?  If I need this, what is really the value of the location data?

Mario

There is no drill-down in the high-level overview in the Dashboard. This feature is designed to show the number of files per country and visualize it neatly on a map.

Use the Location category in the default IMatch Standard Categories hierarchy (in the Category View). It automatically organizes your files by country, city and location. This is the drill-down you're probably looking for.

Note that you can create your own data-driven categories based on location data or change the default category, e.g. when you want to include other levels (like State). See Data-driven Categories for a documentation of this powerful IMatch feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bobneedshelp

Thanks for the help.  I'll start with location and then see if I want to do the data driven categories.  I'm not sure I need that. 

Tveloso

The Data Driven Category for location is already there, and as you add location data to your files (whether via Reverse Geocoding, IMatch Locations in the Map Panel, AutoFill Templates in the Metadata Panel, or simply direct entry there), IMatch automatically maintains that category heirchy for you.

As Mario said, the default Location DD Category lacks State/Province, but you can easily add that, as described in the Help that Mario linked to:
Quote from: Mario on July 24, 2024, 06:21:20 PMNote that you can create your own data-driven categories based on location data or change the default category, e.g. when you want to include other levels (like State). See Data-driven Categories for a documentation of this powerful IMatch feature.
...so you can set up the DD Category with Country at Level-1, State/Province at Level-2, City at Level-3, and Location at Level-4.  As Mario said, this gives the drill-down you mentioned.
--Tony