Finding masters from version for many files

Started by ubacher, August 02, 2024, 09:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

The Versions panel shows me the related files (for which relations have been set up) for a single file.

Now I want to find the masters for a large number of files which are versions. These files are distributed
all over the db. I don't have buddy files.

Looking for ideas of how to takle this.

Ger

I hardly ever use the versions panel. I created a modified version of the Filename Search app Mario ships that allows me to  search on (parts of) the filename. Master and version have the same unique (yyyymmdd_hhmmss_xxxx) starting name. The results will be dumped in a new resultwindow, containing master and versions.

Works fine for me

ger

Mario

1. When you go to the name of the relation in the Collections View (Relations > Version) so see all versions for that relation. Wherever these files are in your database.

2. Select them all (or filter then select) and then use the Show All Versions command from the version icon drop-down menu or the File Window context menu or just press <F4>,<S>

This opens a result window with the master as the "original" and the versions as matches.
If you want to see only the masters:

1. enable the "Don't group by master" in the hierarchical view drop-down menu.
The masters now show alongside their versions.
2. Use the File Properties filter in the Filter panel and the hide versions option.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Well, I am glad I asked the question. (And as usual there IS a way to accomplish my task within Imatch!)
I was not aware of the pop-up menu of the version icon! It did the trick.

I did not have to go via the Collections view as Mario suggested. I just selected my versions,
selected Show all Versions from the pop-up menu. Then I selected Include Originals in the result
(Mario said to select Group by Masters, this must have been an older name.)
Filtering out the Versions left me with the desired Masters!

While the version panel only works for one file, the Select all versions option displays for ALL selected files but in a result window.

Thank you for the help!

Mario

QuoteThen I selected Include Originals in the result
(Mario said to select Group by Masters, this must have been an older name.)
Hm. The menu name depends on how the Result Window was created.
When I select some versions and use "Show all Versions", I get:

Image1.jpg

Should work the same with the normal toolbars...
Because the Result Window knows it was created with masters as originals and provides a better explanation of what the command does.

The "Include originals in the results" menu name is used for other Result Windows, e.g. "Open selection in Result Window" or regular search results.

I've mentioned the collection since you said your versions were "distributed all over the db".  If you can select the versions easy by other means, the collection is of course not needed. But it shows all versions created from one relation definition in one place, which is often handy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook