Experimental features in v2023.14.2

Started by sybersitizen, August 07, 2024, 10:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sybersitizen

Mario, I saw your note saying that the new ribbons, menus, and icons are no longer available as experimental features in this version. Is there a quick way to know which ones are still available? I could of course enable the option and see what new things appear ... but that's not quick.  :)

And BTW, what happened to the splash screen robot guy?

Mario

As I wrote, the "new" facelift ribbons and dark menus are no longer available in experimental mode. Also the modern status bar icons and the dark title bar. All that was part of the experiment and rolled down from the IMatch 2025 code base into IMatch 2023 so users can have an early look and provide feedback.

I will post a notice when I run experiments in the future so users know about it and can enable experimental mode to try things out.

QuoteAnd BTW, what happened to the splash screen robot guy?
I don't understand. There plenty (old and new) splash screens with robot guy. He's on vacation, currently.
Plus some new seasonal (summer) splash screens.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 08, 2024, 09:22:10 AMAs I wrote, the "new" facelift ribbons and dark menus are no longer available in experimental mode. Also the modern status bar icons and the dark title bar. All that was part of the experiment and rolled down from the IMatch 2025 code base into IMatch 2023 so users can have an early look and provide feedback.

I will post a notice when I run experiments in the future so users know about it and can enable experimental mode to try things out.

I don't understand. There plenty (old and new) splash screens with robot guy. He's on vacation, currently.

;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

sybersitizen

Quote from: Mario on August 08, 2024, 09:22:10 AMAs I wrote, the "new" facelift ribbons and dark menus are no longer available in experimental mode. Also the modern status bar icons and the dark title bar. All that was part of the experiment and rolled down from the IMatch 2025 code base into IMatch 2023 so users can have an early look and provide feedback.

I know. What I'm asking is which (if any) other experimental features still exist in v2023.14.2.

After the update, the splash screen was a photo of a person, so I asked. When I started the app today, there was a completely different image - with the robot guy. So I guess there's some kind of rotation with and without him.

Mario

QuoteI know. What I'm asking is which (if any) other experimental features still exist in v2023.14.2.
No.

QuoteWhen I started the app today, there was a completely different image - with the robot guy. So I guess there's some kind of rotation with and without him.

Yup. There is a variety of splash screens with different motives. Some are always available, some are seasonal.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

graham1

Quote from: Mario on August 09, 2024, 08:22:59 AM
QuoteI know. What I'm asking is which (if any) other experimental features still exist in v2023.14.2.
No.

QuoteWhen I started the app today, there was a completely different image - with the robot guy. So I guess there's some kind of rotation with and without him.

Yup. There is a variety of splash screens with different motives. Some are always available, some are seasonal.
I like the variety of splash screens.  The "seasonal" ones only really work if you are in the northern hemisphere, but hey, it's just a bit of fun.

I am pleased to see the bright yellow pencil for unwritten metadata has returned - the darker yellow version was too easy to miss.

Graham

Mario

QuoteI am pleased to see the bright yellow pencil for unwritten metadata has returned - the darker yellow version was too easy to miss.
The new vector icons will be back in IMatch 2025.
I remember some discussion about the "best" color and form for the write-back pen in, several months ago when I started to roll out new icons and ribbons in experimental mode.

If you thought that the new pen icon is not visible enough, why did you not post about it? That's what the experimental mode was for. Users see the new ribbons, icons and menus when they want, and can tell me when I should change something. I have modified or completely re-drawn several icons because of user feedback.

This is what IMatch 2025 will use for the write-back pen (easy background, convoluted background with colors similar to the pen):

Image1.jpg

I think it's reasonably well visible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

QuoteThe "seasonal" ones only really work if you are in the northern hemisphere, but hey, it's just a bit of fun.
it's not easy to figure out in which "location" a PC is and then swap the detection code so our friends in Australia etc. see the summer seasonal splash screens when we're shivering in rain and snow on the upper half.

Can you make a feature request so I don't forget and we can see how many users would like the seasons to match their location?

OR, easier, I hereby declare that the season used is the season in robot guy / mysterious woman country.
Which accidentally matches Germany...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mopperle

Would be nice to have the new icons earlier or at least as experimental. Otherwiese I must change the settings to get bigger icons.

Mario

Vector icons only work in combination with the new ribbons and menus. It's a very large function bock and I'm happy that I no longer have to back-port it into IMatch 2023.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

graham1

QuoteIf you thought that the new pen icon is not visible enough, why did you not post about it? 
It is not a big issue for me.  Just a slight preference for the brighter yellow pen, but not at the level of thinking I wanted to post a suggestion for a change.  Overall I very much like the newer look.

QuoteCan you make a feature request so I don't forget and we can see how many users would like the seasons to match their location?

This was just light-hearted remark while I was posting about something else (the Canon file formats) - I do not think it would be worthwhile asking you to put in a lot of effort to code this.  I do like the various splash screens, and if one were the wrong season for me (I am generally northern hemisphere myself), it would not bother me in the slightest!

Graham