Categories - file formats and different extension Canon files

Started by graham1, August 09, 2024, 10:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham1

Most of my images are from Canon cameras, over many years.  The file format extensions have over the years included .CRW, .CR2 and .CR3.

IMatch can clearly distinguish between them.  The graphic in the Dashboard for Top 10 file format includes a separate colour code for each of them, and the number of each of them by hovering over the pie chart.  

Under File Formats, in Categories, however, all Canon files seem to be lumped together as CRW.  My file format category shows 796,900 CRW images, but this is not correct - there are only 8905 images which are actually CRW file formats, the rest being later formats, either CR2 or CR3. 

I would like to see the separate numbers for CRW, CR2 and CR3 in Categories, but have not been able to find a way to make Categories split these out under File Formats.  Am I missing something, or is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

Graham

graham1

Just to be clear, I created a Category which I called "File Formats" whose data-driven properties are based on the tag: photools.com::IMatch\101300\file.format\0 and Variable: {File.Ext}

My guess is that File Formats for Canon in Preferences have a single format called "CRW image" which includes .CR2 and .CR3 as well as .CRW.  I have tried to edit this but the default is not editable, and if I try to create a new used defined format for any one of these three extensions, it will not permit this because it says the extension is already in use, even if the default file format is disabled.

Is there any way to have separate Categories for each of the 3 separate file types?

Graham

Mario

Yes, IMatch groups vendor-specific file formats and other file formats. That's intentional.
That IMatch does not allow you to create user-defined file formats for extensions already used by a system-defined file format is a safety feature.

QuoteIs there any way to have separate Categories for each of the 3 separate file types?
A data-driven category based on the tag photools.com::IMatch\101200\file.ext\0 should just do that. Don't use variables if you don't t have to. They're great problem solvers, but also a lot slower than using tags.

Also use the file format filter in the data-driven category properties to filter for the file formats you're interested in:

Image3.jpg

Alternatively, create a data-driven category with

photools.com::IMatch\101300\file.format\0 on level 1 and
photools.com::IMatch\101200\file.ext\0 on level 2

This groups your files by CRW on level one, and below that you see CRW, CR2 and CR3.

If you want to group your files by file format group and extension. Else use method one.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

graham1

Mario

Again, IMatch has a solution you probably could not handle in similar software.
Spread the word. Tell others about IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook