Query for Shutter Speeds less than 1/100th for a specific lens?

Started by kiwilink, December 17, 2013, 05:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I have been searching thru the General discussion items looking for a similar issue but didn't see one.  I would like to search thru some specific folders and look for all images shot with a specific lens where the shutter speed is less than 1/100th of a second.  I've been reading about the data driven categories but I don't want to necessarily create a category.

(See Attached snapshot) I'm trying to use the Filter Manager  (Metadata Search).  I'm assuming I need choose "Regular Expression" and somehow have it say:

Shutter Speed < 1/100 where Lens ID = AF-S DX VR Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED 

I'm not sure how to write this.  Can someone who has done this let me know which dropdown to choose under Metadata Search and how I can write this?

Thanks!

Mike

P.S.  I did look in the IMATCH help and went to the Pearl Regular Expression explanation but I'm not sure what I am trying to do is a Regular Expression.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

It probably could be handled with a regular expression - I'm no expert at regex) so I would have to spend time trying to figure this out (which I haven't right now because I'm deep in the trenches getting the database converter ready).

But there are easier ways.

If you look at the Category View, you should see the sample data-driven categories IMatch automatically creates. One of these categories is named "Lens". Just select the category matching the lens you want to focus on. This gives you all photos taken with that specific lens.

2. Now enable a value filter in th Metadata Panel. In the drop-down control select the Shutter Speed metadata tag. The list then fills with all shutter speeds used for the photos currently visible in the file window. Pick the shutter speeds you are interested in.

This gives you all files with a specific lens(es) and specific shutter speed(s). If you also want to limit to certain folders, add a folder filter as well.

Ps.: If you are working with lenses and shutter speeds (or similar things) you may find the data produced by the Statistics Panel useful. It can quickly show you which lenses you used most for the current scope (selected files in the file window), Depending on your selection, you can analyze your entire database or only the files in specific folder(s), date ranges (time line view) or specific lenses...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

If you want to select the lens using a filter rather than a dynamic cat, then in the filter panel choose the "Metadata Search" tab.  Enter text to identify the lens, choose "Selected Tags", and choose the Lens tag.

I'd be really interested to see rexeg that could do an algebraic comparison, rather than just pattern matching.

kiwilink

Mario:

Wow.  This was great and I'm using it now.  The only thing I noticed (see attached) was that when it sorted the Shutter Speeds it went like this  (1/20, 1/200, 1/2000, 1/25, 1/250, 1/2500).  So I had to be careful because I had fast shutter speeds (1/200, 1/2000, 1/250, 1/2500) in there when I was only interested in the slow ones (1/20 and 1/25)  in this example. 

Until I figure out how to use the regular expressions, this is a great way for me to do what I am trying to do.  Thanks so much for the great tip!

Michael

P.S.  I'm so excited for the database converter so please feel free not to worry about any post I make.  My questions can wait for responses from the others in this wonderful group!!!

Richard

Quotewhen it sorted the Shutter Speeds it went like this  (1/20, 1/200, 1/2000, 1/25, 1/250, 1/2500).
Although that is a normal sort order for Windows, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It might be better to use the "RAW Value" so that the sort is better.

From Help
Variables
     Metadata Variables: Formatted and Raw

Metadata Tag             RAW Value     Formatted Value
ShutterSpeedValue     0.00625        1/160

BenAW

QuoteI would like to search thru some specific folders and look for all images shot with a specific lens where the shutter speed is less than 1/100th of a second.  I've been reading about the data driven categories but I don't want to necessarily create a category.
Have a look at this discussion.
Using Marios setup for lenses in the first level (perhaps a filter for specifici lenses IN that level) and using the shutterspeed in the second level in a datadriven category and again use a filter IN that level you can get the result you are looking for.
Now use this datadriven category in the Filter Panel and you can go through specific folders seeing only images shot with a certain lens and some defined shutterspeeds.

kiwilink

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  I see in the Metadata that there are sections displayed such as Nikon, Nikon AFInfo2, Nikon AFTune, etc (all related to the specific camera that shot the image) (see attached).

Is there a way for me to use these very specific camera related sections as "Tags" to create Data Driven categories?  When I click on "Tag Selector" I see the standard tags like ISO, Lens Make, Model, etc.  Can I generate new tags from the Metadata I see for my Nikon information such as Nikon Focus Mode, Primary AF Point, AF Points Used,  Metering Mode, etc?

Mike

Mario

You can create data-driven categories from all ~ 15,000 metadata tags IMatch supports.
In the Tag selector, click on the "Search all Tabs" tab.

I suggest you press <F1> while in the tag selector to open the help and read all about what you can do with it.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

I always Click on help first (I promise).  But when you said it could be done I went back and figured out why I never saw all of this Nikon data in the data driven choices.

It was because I had XMP chosen as a Group.  I saw the standard EXIF, XMP, PDF, etc. but I never saw Nikon.  When I cleared out the drop down in the Group then I saw a TON OF DATA tags.  WOW!!!

I'm a DUMMY.  Thanks for pointing this out.  Now I will have lots of fun with all this new data!!!!!!

Mike

Mario

Tip: To see all the data available for a file, switch the Metadata Panel to the Browser layout.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

It's good to be able to access all the tags when needed, but it's easiest and safest to use the standard tags whenever possible, non?

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks for the tip! 

Mario, Is it possible for me to add things to the Camera Dashboard (such as Focus Mode - AF-S) if I wanted to do this?  I looked in the "Edit Layouts" but it doesn't look like I can.  Just curious.

Mike

Mario

Quote from: Ferdinand on December 19, 2013, 11:28:15 PM
It's good to be able to access all the tags when needed, but it's easiest and safest to use the standard tags whenever possible, non?

Yes. The standard tags create a separate layer on top of metadata tags. Sometimes they are derived from multiple other tags. And I can change their source 'under the hood' if required without breaking panel layouts etc. created by users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: kiwilink on December 20, 2013, 02:29:14 AM
Mario, Is it possible for me to add things to the Camera Dashboard (such as Focus Mode - AF-S) if I wanted to do this?  I looked in the "Edit Layouts" but it doesn't look like I can.  Just curious.

No. The camera dashboard already uses a variety of tags and approaches in order to come up with something that works across a wide range of camera models. I have currently no plans to allow users to change the data sources used by the dashboard.

You can display all the tags you want in a custom metadata panel layout. This gives you a lot of control. Definitely look into this. A lot of work has been put into this IMatch 5 feature.

You can also create your custom dashboard via a HTML template or a HTML App. This also allows you to use graphics, animation, sounds and whatever is offered by HTML and JavaScript. For example, look at this custom metadata dashboard created by John.

Doing something like a dashboard in HTML is on my "fun projects" list. Since we have the HTML Panel technology available now (unique to IMatch!) we can do such amazing things - given time and a bit of HTML and JavaScript know-how...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator