Another blog entry about metadata problems

Started by Mario, September 07, 2024, 10:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

For the Google bot and the occasional user stumbling upon the photools.com web site while searching for the term metadata problem, I've just published a new blog entry: Find Problems in the Metadata of Your Images With the IMatch Metadata Analyst

If you find the time, check it out. Open the page and stay for it for a while, especially if your use Google Chrome as your browser. This makes the photools.com site more "important" for the Google bot.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Good article and as this is a common (and growing?) problem for many people, have you considered making iMatch Metadata Analyst a separate product that can be used on its own?  I apologize if this is a crazy idea if it relies upon having an iMatch database but my understanding is that it is a fairly self-contained app.

My idea is that offering it as a free download for users to check their metadata might be great advertising.  With just the Analyst a user can't fix problems but it shows that iMatch/Photools know metadata and there can be some embedded "help" that tells the user how to fix certain problems using the full iMatch software package (similar to your description in the blog).

Of course it would need to be clear that there is no technical support for this free product - and I think it is a common enough situation in the modern world that this would be a reasonable condition for a free utility.

Just a thought on expanding your reach.

Michael

Mario

The app relies on the technologies included in IMatch to launch ExifTool, transform and process the output etc.

A normal JavaScript app cannot do this.
I would need to create a "mini IMatch" executable that does the ExifTool running and output collecting part and uses an app-based front-end to show the results. That's a full-blown "project" on it's own. And it would cost a lot of time and, in the end, money.

If a user really want's to do this, the free trial-version of IMatch will do it. There are no major limitations, except that databases become read-only after 30 days. Which does not impact the Metadata Analyst.

I have added a corresponding into to the blog post.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook