Does iMAtch show .dds files?

Started by kirk, September 15, 2024, 10:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk

Attached the two of them 8bit RGB  and 16 bit gray in zip. Created in Adobe Substance designer.  Typical compressed texture format for gamedev.  Xnview, Blender, Adobe Bridge    and file explorer show them.  I match doesn't on my end.  Should it? 

Mario

I've never heard about a DDS file, sorry.
It's not a standard file format in IMatch and support for it was never requested AFAIK.

I don't know what Adobe Substance Designer is.
I'm sure Blender, Maya, 3ds, Cinema 4D, Autodesk etc. have dozens of their own proprietary file formats.
Which are of little or no interest for the IMatch user base.
You typically don't manage things like textures or objects in a DAM. The software that creates these files usually has tools to manage these files built-in.

If you really want to manage the files in IMatch, consider adding them as a user-defined format: User-defined Formats
IMatch will add them to the database afterwards. But, as usual with such rare and proprietary files, if IMatch can produce and kind of rendition for the file depends on whether or not the creating application installs a "shell thumbnail handler" for Windows.
If you don't see thumbnails for the files in Windows Explorer, you won't see previews in IMatch either.
IMatch can manage metadata in XMP for any file format, though.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

DDS files is what you see on screen in almost evry video game . It's basically image standard for textures .  Adobe Substance Designer is an industry standard in CG for creating tile-able  materials  and textures.  

The whole CG industry , not gamedev only   is actually in need of  good DAM  for pretty a while . What's available in 3d packages is abysmal.   IMatch in my humble opinion has  a good chance to became popular in gamedev studious if  support a bit more of CG related formats.    There wasn't much of a necessity before probably when  games had just a handful of image and 3d mesh  files.   Now it's gigabytes of them . Huge projects . Decades of creating . Dozens of versions and development brunches.   Drones landscapes scan series , and so on and on.    

Mario

You can add DDS as a user-defined file format (see my link above). IMatch then manages it like any other file and you can even add XMP metadata like titel, description, keywords, date and time. IMatch stores the data in XMP sidecar files, which makes it accessible for other software.

Frankly, I don't think there much demand. Else I would know about it, since people usually contact me and tell me.
Either all the game dev's use the built-in stuff in their tools or they maybe go to a "corporate" DAM vendor like Canto, AssetBank, Bynder, Widen and whatnot?

Note that I'm not adverse to add "built-in" support for new file formats.
But not for one or two people or the possibility to sell a handful of extra IMatch licenses.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook