Filtering/searching for files with the error triangle

Started by dcb, December 23, 2013, 11:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcb

For the life of me I cannot find a way to filter files which have experienced some kind of ExifTool error without having to scroll through a long list to look for the little yellow triangle icon.

Is there a way to filter or search for these files. To my mind the obvious place is in the collections.
Have you backed up your photos today?

Mario

If you have added the files with the previous IMatch build (5.0.126), first to a rescan of the metadata. This removes the errors in most cases.

You can filter out these files by using a metadata filter on the metadata tag Extra Error tag.

Add a value filter to the Filter Panel and select the Extra\Error tag via the Tag selector.
Switch to the Search all Tags tab in the Tag Selector, make sure the Group filter is is set to Extra and then pick the Error tag.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dcb

Thanks Mario. That would be useful to see in the help file at some point. In my case it was an error writing to a file. There was an *original* hanging around from a previously failed ExifTool process.
Have you backed up your photos today?

jch2103

Quote from: dcb on December 24, 2013, 12:59:23 AM
Thanks Mario. That would be useful to see in the help file at some point. In my case it was an error writing to a file. There was an *original* hanging around from a previously failed ExifTool process.
+1. There have been several times when this would have been very useful to know. 
John

Mario

Quote from: dcb on December 24, 2013, 12:59:23 AM
Thanks Mario. That would be useful to see in the help file at some point.
How did you search for it? Which keywords did you use in your search? In which topic would that fit?
Maybe I could mention this in the tooltip of the warning icon (yellow triangle).
Problem is, there are so many metadata tags, and I just recently started to cache the error tag in the database so I can provide better info to the user in the warning icon tooltip. I did not think that users would want to filter for this tag. There are over 14,000 metadata tags now supported...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I've updated the file window help now. Under the table which explains all icons used by the file window I've added a separate headline which explains the warning icon and tip box for Extra\Error. Should do it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

In my test database, I did a search for Extra\Error (and several variations), but didn't get any results in the Tag selector, even when I un-checked 'Show only tags with data'. ('Extra' did return some values but 'Error' was not among them.)

I may not have any 'yellow triangle' errors in my test database, but I would have thought at least the name of the tag would appear in a Tag selector search. Did I miss something?

John

ubacher

QuoteAdd a value filter to the Filter Panel and select the Extra\Error tag via the Tag selector.
Switch to the Search all Tags tab in the Tag Selector, make sure the Group filter is is set to Extra and then pick the Error tag.

I tried this. Did not find the Extra group nor the Error tag.
( Although I was able to enter these values)

Should the Error tag always be present?

Mario

The error tag will be added to the database the first time Exiftool returns this tag. It is not created during the initial database creation or re-import of tags when the ExifTool version changes. This is a very special tag.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator