Database Diagnosis Automatically

Started by StanRohrer, October 07, 2024, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanRohrer

I think I have enabled automatic database diagnosis as desired. Preferences/Application/Run database diagnostics automatically = When IMatch is idle for 10 minutes.

When I take a look at the IMatch Dashboard tab, under Diagnostics, the Last Run entry is dated for the last time I ran manually (or via Pack & Go run Diagnostics). I don't see evidence that diagnostics are auto-running.

Is the Dashboard entry recording the automatic diagnostics? Are auto diagnostics actually running? Where do I see evidence that diagnostics are auto-running? Is there some other setting that I need to make diagnostics auto-run?

StanRohrer

Mario

When a diagnosis automatically runs, you'll see the dialog with the diagnosis results.

Last run means last run. Whether manually, as part of Pack & Go or automatically.

When you use Pack & Go and let it run the diagnosis, this resets the last run timestamp of course.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

StanRohrer

If I go away for part of the day, with IMatch either in active foreground or minimized to the task bar, I see no diagnostic status box on my return to the computer. It seems like auto-diagnostics must not be running at my selected 10 minutes of idle time. Are there any hints on how and what to troubleshoot?

For the time being I've again checked the Diagnostics box in Pack & Go so I will be reminded at least every time I close IM.

Mario

How long is your diagnostics interval? (Edit > Preferences > Application: Run database diagnosis...).
IMatch by default offers to run a diagnosis every week. If you run Pack & Go with diagnosis more than once a week, IMatch will never offer to run a diagnosis or run a diagnosis automatically - because the "once a week" condition is already met.

Note: Pack & Go is for transferring databases and IMatch settings between computers, e.g. between your desktop and notebook. It is not a backup tool - unless you don't do any backups at all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2024, 03:15:10 PMNote: Pack & Go is for transferring databases and IMatch settings between computers, e.g. between your desktop and notebook. It is not a backup tool - unless you don't do any backups at all.

It is also a useful extra for someone doing proper backups as it allows for recovery to a specific point in workflow, which conventional backups don't. I'm far more likely to want to recover to the start point of my current phase (2pm Tuesday) than I am to want to recover because my disk/computer has become corrupt.

Mario

Most modern backup tools allow you to do backups of selected folders frequently, e.g. once per hour and then keep these snapshots for a configurable time, as snapshots/versions.

I use this for instance to make snapshots of selected folders at specific times in the day, in additional to the standard daily, weekly and monthly backups. It's all automated and I only have to remember to swap the external disk in the morning, for the daily full backup. The snapshots are stored (locally encrypted) in the cloud.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

StanRohrer

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2024, 03:15:10 PMHow long is your diagnostics interval? (Edit > Preferences > Application: Run database diagnosis...).
IMatch by default offers to run a diagnosis every week. If you run Pack & Go with diagnosis more than once a week, IMatch will never offer to run a diagnosis or run a diagnosis automatically - because the "once a week" condition is already met.

Note: Pack & Go is for transferring databases and IMatch settings between computers, e.g. between your desktop and notebook. It is not a backup tool - unless you don't do any backups at all.
Preferences/ Run Database Diagnosis = Every Week is the likely gating item. I've changed to Daily and will observe.

Over the 22(?) years I've been using iMatch, I've had numerous occasions of corruption, damage, or mistakes, in databases. Some may have been glitches within IM (most generally just following major new releases and/or database layout changes). Some were certainly stupid fat fingers by this operator. Long ago I started the habit of keeping snapshot database copies or P&G files on IM exit.

I do full system (Windows, documents, photos, program settings, everything, et.al.) to external drive once per week or more often if I'm busy in a big project. A Macrium Reflect full Backup and Verify takes 11-15 hours on my system. I probably should, but have not, set up multi-level Grandfather / Father / Son incremental type method.