bug following a translation

Started by Dominique R, October 09, 2024, 12:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominique R

Hello,
I think I found an unlisted bug. Sorry if this has already been reported.

Description of the bug:

When installing IMatch, I decided to choose the automatic translation of the interface in French.
Two days later, I decided to switch the interface back to English.
I now have in some windows or dialog boxes a mixture of words in French and English.

Here are some examples:

Capture d’écran 2024-10-08 234815.png

Capture d’écran 2024-10-08 233856.png

Capture d’écran 2024-10-08 234113.png

Capture d’écran 2024-10-08 234342.png

Capture d’écran 2024-10-08 234631.png

Dominique

Mario

When you select a language during installation, IMatch uses this language to initialize certain presets. 
From default categories it creates to the names of sort presets it creates initially. 

Once created, these presets and categories will not be deleted and re-created when you change the user interface language (that could be disastrous and wipe out changes done by the user).

The names used for months (e.g. used in the Timeline View) are dynamic, IMatch fetches them from Windows at runtime.
So if your Windows is set to French, you will see French and French date & time formats, number formats etc. This is not affected by the user interface language. Most users use the English version of IMatch, but prefer numbers and dates in their locale format.

The French version of IMatch was an experiment. Some users volunteered to maintain a French translation based on a machine-translation I've created. This never worked out and the French/Spanish translation fell behind the official English and German translations and the Dutch translation Mees maintains and the Portuguese ttranslation José maintains (thanks, guys). Same to the experimental Spanish translation, which was also an AI translation.
When you use a non-English version of IMatch and you see English menu names, command names etc, this means that the translation is out of date and IMatch had to fall back to the default English language,

I can just not find anybody who would maintain the French / Spanish translations. Although the amount of work to be done when a new update is shipped is low, the initial translation (or review of the machine translated base translation) is a huge task. And nobody has time anymore these days.

I will not ship the French and Spanish translations anymore in future IMatch versions. I cannot maintain them (I don't speak the language), I cannot pay professional translators to maintain them (this is really, really expensive, they are paid by the word!) and machine translations just don't cut it yet. To much context is needed, a dictionary with IMatch vocabulary has to be created and maintained to guide the AI translation etc.

You can delete the "wrongly" names categories and re-import the standard English categories from this file

"C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-en.imcsx" using the Category Import

For other standard presets created on the initial start, you can rename the presets or layouts yourself as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook