Installation of IM on a VM

Started by frankdarwin, October 15, 2024, 10:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

Hello Mario,
I always installed IM on a VM (Windows HV) for testing purposes.
Now I was forced to completely reinstall IM on this VM.

I proceeded as follows:

1. installation of IM
2. copy the original directories to the VM
3. start IM without database
4. change the settings for "Settings database filename" and "Presets folder" to the directories of the original system. The directories are identical in both systems.
5. restart IM

After restarting IM and opening the copied database, I receive a message that a new version of Exif Tool is available, which I have confirmed. Until then everything is O.K.
Then a window appears with the message "Loading timelines" (see Loading Timelines.jpg.)
So far, so good.
But nothing happens after that.
The task manager tells me that IM is very busy (see Taskmaneger.jpg), but nothing happens.
After 30 minutes, I have no choice but to close IM via the task manager.

What is my problem?

Frank

Mario

I test IMatch various Windows versions using VMs. No problems here.
Did you look at the log file?
Do you use a virus checker in your VM?
Which VM?
Did you try to reset the VM and start over? Maybe spawn a new VM with W11?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Hello Mario,
once again my mistake!
I reinstalled IM on the VM (Windows 10) and then transferred everything to the VM.
However, I overlooked the fact that there is an update for IM. The version I installed was from 19.06.24.
After I updated to the latest version, everything was fine again!

At this point I would like to make a suggestion for improvement.

Is it possible to create a message when someone tries to open a database in IM that is from a newer IM version?

Frank

Mario

QuoteIs it possible to create a message when someone tries to open a database in IM that is from a newer IM version?
Such a message exists. When a newer version of IMatch has modified/upgraded the database, you cannot open it in older versions anymore and you get an error message telling you to update your IMatch version.

Not every update of IMatch changes the database, though. Only when a new version of ExifTool is included or I make changes to the database I increase the database version number. And this causes IMatch to tell you that the database needs to be updated when you start it.

It's all handled.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook