Search and management of geolocation

Started by Yves Thomazeau, Today at 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves Thomazeau

Hello.

While managing my photos , there is a question that i am asking myself about geolocalosation.
Since all my files are gps marked, does it make sense to add keyword with town names or park labels and so on. ?
on the other hand is there an easy way to search and locate files with imatch in a precise way (let us say a town or a circle somewhere on the map) ?
What are your advices about it ?

Thanks for your answers.

Mario

Do you use Reverse Geocoding in IMatch? This adds the coutry name, city name and location name to each image and makes them searchable.

The IMatch Standard Categories|Image Files\Location category automatically organizes your files by country|city

image1.jpg

This category is automatically by IMatch. You can add a "Location" level if you need that.

You can search for country, city or location names in the Filter Panel  using a Value Filter or in the File Window Search Bar when you set the option to search for Location: What to Search

Have you used the Map Panel in IMatch yet? It allows you to search for locations, to find files by drawing a shape on the map and much more.

If you create additional keywords for country, city or location is up to you. Usually it makes no sense to duplicate metadata in several tags, because it is a) redundant and  b) there are location metadata tags for a reason and we should use them.

Actually there are two sets of location data per image (see the 6. IPTC Location layout in the Metadata Panel). The location of the camera when the image was taken, and the location the image shows (which can be quite different, considering taking a photo of a building on the other side of a river).

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook