Conversion Completed (I see Categories - nothing under Media/Folders)

Started by kiwilink, December 25, 2013, 06:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Merry Christmas!

I just completed running the new database conversion tool  and I have read the conversion instructions but I don't see anything on the next step after it completes.  I went ahead and copied my old IMATCH 3 folder (with all of my pictures) to a different drive using Windows Explorer.  I then chose "ADD or Update folders" and added all of the pictures.

I'm not sure I'm following the right process above and I really did open the help menu and follow it step by step.

Now when I choose a category that was brought over from the conversion and I click on a category that has only 3 pictures,  none of the thumbnails show the correct picture.  Hence, it appears my categories are out of sync with my folder of pictures.

Let me know where I went wrong!

Mike

See attached example

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

When the converter is finished, your IMatch 5 database is ready to use.
When you open the IMatch 5 database you should see all the files, categories etc. you know from IMatch 3.

Did you open the resulting target database in IMatch 5 after the converter finished?
Did the database show files and folders?

Did you retain the log files the converter produces? If so, please attach them so I can check if there was any problem.

There is no need to copy files around or add them manually to the IMatch 5 database. Such files will be added in addition to the files already in the database (imported by the converter). And since these files are *new* they will of course have no category assignments.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Hi Mario!

I can only attach 2 logs.  The IMATCHDBConverterLog.txt is too big (401,260KB).  The converter seemed to run fine.  When I opened it I saw the categories but no folders with pictures.  No thumbnails either.

I have my IMATCH 3 (database and data) on separate drives. Below is where my files for Imatch 3 reside:

Location of IMATCH 3: 
Database - C:\Users\Mikey\Documents\IMATCH22Jan2013\Dpics22Jan2013.Imd4
Location of pictures - J:\Pictures\MyImatchPics\

When I started the conversion program I selected my SSD (C) for the location of the database engine.  My goal was to have my new IMATCH 5 database engine on the SSD and my actual data on a separate hard disk (F) drive.  My goal was this:

Database - C:\Users\Mikey\My Pictures\25DecImportfromImatch3.imd5
Location of pictures - F:\Pictures\MyImatchPics

(Note:  The C drive is an SSD and the J and F drives are physically separate disk drives.)

My guess is that when I first opened the conversion program, it asked me for the location of the IMATCH target database and I gave it the location:
C:\Users\Mikey\My Pictures\25DecImportfromImatch3.imd5

I thought it would just convert the database and put it here in this new location on the SSD.  WAS IT SUPPOSED TO ALSO MOVE MY ACTUAL DATA ALSO?

Let me know what you need from me.  If the converter was supposed to physically move my images (folder) to  C:\Users\Mikey\My Pictures\25DecImportfromImatch3.imd5 then it would have failed because my C (SSD) drive only has 41GB available and my actual image database is 106GB.

Thanks Mario!

Mike

JohnZeman

Quote from: kiwilink on December 26, 2013, 05:01:30 PM
I can only attach 2 logs.  The IMATCHDBConverterLog.txt is too big (401,260KB).

If you zip the huge log file the odds are pretty good that it'll be small enough to attach here as well.

kiwilink

John Zeman:

I did zip it and it was 7,058KB (The max for attachments is 2048KB) so I was over the limit in size.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll send it to Mario via email just as a backup.  Thanks John for the response!!!

Mike

Aubrey

I have the same issue. After conversion database is empty!

Log files attached.

Mario

I need more IMatch 3 sample databases which produce this problem.
Please upload to my FTP server or some cloud store and send me the link.
The conversion log files don't show me the reason of the problem. I have only one IMatch 3 sample database so far, and I will analyze it over the weekend. A few more problem databases would be helpful.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Do you require only the database or do you also require the associated images?
If the latter I can make a smaller subset of the 40 images.

I have uploaded to Google drive.
How do I send you a private message with the access to Google drive?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

muranod

Hi Mario,

The converter process ran for several hours and then came up with an empty database. According to IM 3.6, I have about 29,000 images.

Before the conversion, I created a new database in IM5.
Opened the database old database in IM 3.6, rescanned the folders and ran the Database diagnosis tool.
Closed the database in IM 3.6 and then ran the IM5 converter tool

Here are my logs - The one log was over 239 MB, so I removed the middle part (indicated in the file). Hope there is enough of it here to help you diagnose the issue.

Also, prior to this, I had been working with the beta with all of my files. Way back when, I had successfully imported the categories and that worked fine. For the conversion though, I started with a new, empty IM5 database.

Dan

Logs attached

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on December 28, 2013, 12:20:33 PM
Do you require only the database or do you also require the associated images?
If the latter I can make a smaller subset of the 40 images.

I have uploaded to Google drive.
How do I send you a private message with the access to Google drive?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

I have enough databases now. Over 10 databases were uploaded today  :)
Asa far as I can tell, except for one, all problems were caused by the same bug.
I'll ship a new build soon so you can then retry.

You can always contact me via my email (see below in my signature).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Mario,
Sounds good!
Like Murnod  I simply converted everything to start and then had issues. This was why I created a subset for simper checking!
Glad you were able to identify issues - that's why we're here   ;D .
Looking forward to testing the update.

Best wishes for 2014
Aubrey.

kiwilink

Thanks Mario!

Reference my 26 Dec thread about different drives.  So when I run the converter will the data AND the database move?  I have the database on my SSD drive and my Images on a spinning hard disk drive (keeping them physically separate) .

When you release the fix and I run the converter will both the database and the data be moved to the target location? 

If this is the case then do you suggest I then copy the database to the SSD drive?  I'm trying to make sure I understand exactly what I should do so that I have the database on the SSD and the images on the target disk drive.

Thanks Mario!

Mike

P.S.  It would be great if the converter would let me pick the location of each!

muranod

I just tried again and after several hours, when I woke up my screen, the process aborted with 28 minutes to go, so I again have nothing.

Just wondering, is it still possible to simply rescan all of my image folders and then import the categories from the Imatch 3.6 database? If so, that would work just fine for me.

Meanwhile, I will start the process again and let it run overnight.

kiwilink

Perfect!!!

I just ran it and it worked.  Now I think I answered my earlier question.  The database that was created pointed back to my original data that IMATCH 3 was (is) accessing.  I'm assuming that was the way it was supposed to work?

Does the converter migrate keywords from 3.6?

Thanks Mario!

Mike

Mario

Quote from: kiwilink on December 30, 2013, 05:18:17 AM
Perfect!!!
I just ran it and it worked.  Now I think I answered my earlier question.  The database that was created pointed back to my original data that IMATCH 3 was (is) accessing.  I'm assuming that was the way it was supposed to work?

The database converter migrates the contents of your IMatch 3 database into the IMatch 5 database used as the target. After the conversion has completed, the IMatch 5 database 'contains' the same files as the IMatch 3 database. The database converter does not duplicate your files or moves them around.

Quote from: kiwilink on December 30, 2013, 05:18:17 AM

All metadata contained in your files or XMP sidecar files will be imported as part of the conversion process. See also the Database Converter help topic for detailed information about which data is converted and how.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: muranod on December 30, 2013, 03:14:09 AM
I just tried again and after several hours, when I woke up my screen, the process aborted with 28 minutes to go, so I again have nothing.

Just wondering, is it still possible to simply rescan all of my image folders and then import the categories from the Imatch 3.6 database? If so, that would work just fine for me.

Meanwhile, I will start the process again and let it run overnight.

When you say aborted, what does this mean, exactly?

Did the database converter show an error message in the protocol?
Did it crash?
During which step did it abort?

I would like to have the 3 log files (see Database Converter help) from that aborted session.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

muranod

It worked! Let it run unattended and it all looks good this morning. Last time, I must have interrupted the process when I clicked the mouse to wake the monitor from sleep. Thanks, Mario.

muranod

Yes, I had definitely interrupted the process.

Also, it took a long time because I had the database set up to create the offline cache files - that was a lot of processing.

Now it's awesome, and fast!

Thanks, Mario.

p.s. My money is set aside to order too!