Back to having trouble ingesting sony *.arw files

Started by reader, January 03, 2014, 03:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reader

The problem recorded here covers both version 5.0.124 and the newest 5.0.132 on win7 x64

I've been using the beta for a while but only sporadically, nonetheless, it was handling sony *.arw files just fine.

I got around to trying to start my version that still had the year change bug in it.  So, discovering I had to install a newer version and since I had radically changed the directory hierarchy structure of my images home, I decided to just create a new db rather than trying to work all the structural changes into the one I had been working with.

So, cutting to the chase; all of a sudden IM5 is not ingesting sony *.arw (raw) format.  I had assumed the new install would install over my earlier version, maybe not eh?

IM5 is grinding away at the new target directory structure so I may be jumping the gun and all the *.arw files will suddenly come to life.  I hope so.

So, in the meantime, why would I not be able to handle *arw with the newest (5.0.132) when the earlier version was handling them?

reader

Quote from: reader on January 03, 2014, 03:45:45 AM
The problem recorded here covers both version 5.0.124 and the newest 5.0.132 on win7 x64

I've been using the beta for a while but only sporadically, nonetheless, it was handling sony *.arw files just fine.

I got around to trying to start my version that still had the year change bug in it.  So, discovering I had to install a newer version and since I had radically changed the directory hierarchy structure of my images home, I decided to just create a new db rather than trying to work all the structural changes into the one I had been working with.

So, cutting to the chase; all of a sudden IM5 is not ingesting sony *.arw (raw) format.  I had assumed the new install would install over my earlier version, maybe not eh?

IM5 is grinding away at the new target directory structure so I may be jumping the gun and all the *.arw files will suddenly come to life.  I hope so.

So, in the meantime, why would I not be able to handle *arw with the newest (5.0.132) when the earlier version was handling them?

Well, well.  When the processing got pretty far along.. with 15 minutes remaining, those *.arw did indeed, suddenly spring to life.  I guess the problem solved itself.

Mario

No difference in this area to earlier versions. Most of the work is done using whatever WIC codec is installed for the .ARW format.
If you think that the process is too slow, I would like to see an application log file (in debug mode, see Help > Support) from a session where you ingested a folder of ARW files. In my experience, 95% of the time is spent inside the WIC codec and extracting metadata, not in IMatch itself.

If you generate cache images at ingest time and not on-demand (see: Edit > Preferences > Cache) the ingest time can double or triple because of all the additional image processing and data moving required.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

reader

Quote from: Mario on January 03, 2014, 08:29:45 AM
No difference in this area to earlier versions. Most of the work is done using whatever WIC codec is installed for the .ARW format.
If you think that the process is too slow, I would like to see an application log file (in debug mode, see Help > Support) from a session where you ingested a folder of ARW files. In my experience, 95% of the time is spent inside the WIC codec and extracting metadata, not in IMatch itself.

If you generate cache images at ingest time and not on-demand (see: Edit > Preferences > Cache) the ingest time can double or triple because of all the additional image processing and data moving required.

Thanks Mario,

All I could really say after seeing how it finally went is that it seemed like all jpg were showing up and at some point all the *.arw filled in.  It did take a while but didn't seem off the wall.  I was feeding it several hundred 6000x4000 images. Probably most of them *.arw.

Mario

When you add files to your database, IMatch performs several steps. Most of the work is done in the background, e.g. extracting metadata and thumbnails, cache generation, visual query info, database updates. You can monitor the progress in the Info & Activity panel. Only when the queue is empty, all files are "in" the database and "ready".

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook