Off-line folders

Started by densac, August 14, 2014, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

densac

Mario,

Following on from my error/bug reports in relation to not being able to hide off-line folders when the 'old' drive letters coincide with existing drive letters.
Your latest change has cured this issue but...
I have 6 or 7 drive letters allocated to off-line folders because my cd/dvd drive has changed its letter many time with PC config changes. It would be nice to collapse all these letters to just the one IE.. relocate all my off-line folders to the one drive. Unfortunately, relocation requires the insertion of new media. Would it be possible to implement a change that would allow the repointing of several drive letters to one?

Photon

Certainly my recommendation is not a solution for your current problems. But I would strongly recommend to setup all your PCs and systems with constant drive letters. This makes the life not only with Imatch much easier. It is really possible through intelligent drive letter allocations with the free software USBLDM and powerful DOS commands NET USE and SUBST and MKLINK. Regarding optical disc drives I recommend to change the default windows drive letter to e.g. constant R:\ for read-only drive and e.g. constant W:\ for a write-capable drive. You can change this with "Einstellungen / Systemsteuerung / Verwaltung / Computerverwaltung / Datenträgerverwaltung" or "Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management".

On of my main photo collections for Imatch is for example always and only on drive P:\. This drive is either a local HDD, or a USB disk or a NAS disk, depending where I have to work with which kind of PC. With such mixed mode operation you have of course to take care to synchronize always the right master drive to the clones in case of any photo modifications.

Regards, Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |