Changing Metadata (Will Acronis and Other Backups note the changes?)

Started by kiwilink, January 13, 2014, 06:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I'm setting up Acronis to backup any changes to my Image database but it seems to ignore all of the Metadata changes I have made to the image (including Create Date changes.  I at least assumed that because the modified date changed Acronis would overwrite the file.

Has anyone ran across this (changes to the Metadata aren't forcing a replacement of the file)

Thanks@

Mike

Mario

Did you write-back the changes to the files yet?
Unless you do that (or you enable automatic write-back) all changes you make are only written to the database. No files are changed.

Unless you set the option to retain the file date and time, IMatch/ExifTool updates the last modified time stamp in the file system, and Windows also sets the archive flag automatically. Backup software uses both to determine changed files.

You can check that in Windows Explorer easily. Use the Detail mode and configure it to show "Date modified" and "Attributes". Then write-back a file in IMatch and check if "A" is added to the Attributes and if the "last modifed" date changes. I just did and it works exactly as it should.

Note: If you work with XMP sidecar files, IMatch may only update the XMP sidecar file, but not the image file itself.

Besides, Acronis is usually used to create images from your disks, and these images work on a sector-by-sector basis, backing up sectors with data different from the last backup. This works below the file system anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Are you backing up the partition or just the file/selected files?  My understanding is the same as Mario's - that ATI works on a sector by sector basis and if you're doing an incremental backup it will only backup the sectors that have changed.  But I confess that I only ever backup whole partitions/disks - not "my files".  Have you tried restoring a file that should have changed, to a new location, and check whether it's the updated version?  Whenever I've had to do this from one of my partition backups it's worked a treat.

kiwilink

Thanks Ferdinand and Mario for the response.

I always wait until after a make several changes to IMATCH5 and then I write back the changes before I log off.  I am using TI 2014 and I have backups that do  a full and 5 incrementals on the folder/files where my Images are.

I am testing this tonight by updating several images (scanned images) by changing the Date created and then after I commit these I will run TI and see if the file shows up in the incremental.  I'll report back.  Thanks for the answers.

Mario

Also check the info in Windows Explorer I mentioned. This will tell you if IMatch updated the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook