Folder Properties vs Image Properties?

Started by John, January 15, 2014, 02:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I'm looking for image (or song or whatever) properties/description and not finding it. (Obviously I'm a newbie to version 5.) That's not the issue as I'm sure I'll find it soon enough.

The reason I'm putting this under feature request is that I think the "Properties" panel in the general UI should be renamed to "Folder Properties", to make it more clear what the parent object being referred to is.

Keep on Mario!

- John

JohnZeman

From another John, welcome to IMatch John.

You're right that in media and folders view the properties panel would be folder properties.  However in categories view it's category properties, and in a similar manner the same applies for the timeline and collections views.

But I'm confused by your post.  For you also said you haven't yet been able to locate an image (or whatever) by its description.  The description wouldn't be in any of the properties panels anyway.  Instead you might use the filter panel to locate some specific description text.

John

Thanks for your response John!

From your reply I *now* know that "Properties" refers to the view's parent or type: media/folder, categories, timeline or collections - but not 'images' as others may also assume. So be it.

I'm just trying to enter a description/title for a group of images. It looks like images have "attributes" - not properties. I've that panel up and have selected one image, but am still figuring out how to create a record/row to be able to enter the description for the image. Oh, there is a toolbar option for this.

OK, so apparently attributes are a little different from iMatch 3: the record must be manually created first.

I'm surprised though that right clicking an image doesn't provide some option for viewing/editing Attributes - or the EXIF data. That's what I'm trying to figure out next! It used to be in a separate - but neighboring - tab, as well as in the image's context menu.

Thanks again,

- John

JohnZeman

Attributes in IMatch 5 are the replacement for IMatch 3 properties.  Like IMatch 3 you have to configure attributes before you can start using them.

However it sounds to me like you really want to use the metadata panel.  That's where you can enter user information like descriptions etc.

BenAW

Quote from: John on January 15, 2014, 02:11:18 AM
The reason I'm putting this under feature request is that I think the "Properties" panel in the general UI should be renamed to "Folder Properties", to make it more clear what the parent object being referred to is.
The properties you refer to are an integral part of the panel they are situated in. Not much room for confusion imo.

I would suggest to start with the excellent Help Mario has written.
Especially under Welcome and Visual Index you'll find a lot of info to get you started.
IM5 is NOT a program you'll learn by playing with it.

Mario

I agree with Ben. You should make your life easier by reading the introductory information in the IMatch help (Help menu in IMatch or just press <F1>), namely:

1. The Visual Index, which shows all major features in IMatch with a small description and a link to the corresponding help
2. The Beta Tester Guide
3. The IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 Migration guide, which explains the new concepts and how they relate to what you know from IMatch 3

other help as needed.

IMatch 3 came with a pre-defined property set with a name and description property. IMatch 5 does not create Attributes by default. You can import one of the pre-made sample Attribute Sets via Edit > Preferences > Edit Attributes. But you should read the help on Attributes first.

IMatch combines all metadata into the Metadata Panel (and the Keywords Panel). The Metadata Panel is where you see EXIF, IPTC, XMP and other metadata,

You'll find out about all this by reading the help sections I mentioned above. Just open the start page of the help system via the Help menu to find direct links to all these topics. An hour spent reading the help will safe you countless hours trying to figure things out by trial-and-error.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I'm not going to disagree with what Mario and Ben said.  I get a little distressed to read the number of questions that could be answered if people only read the help.  It seems easier to ask a question on the forum than to read the help.  [Note that this is a general comment and not directed specifically at the OP.]

That said, many moons ago after much debate it was decided to label the filters for folders as "Folder Filter" to avoid confusion and ambiguity.  It seems that the same issue applies to folder properties and bookmarks. 

John

OK, guilty as charged! Sorry for jumping in without reading the new help materials. I have used iMatch 3 for many years, so thought this update it would be pretty intuitive, but I will check out the materials now.

I hadn't noticed that Properties pane was part of the panel and still wonder if there shouldn't be entries for some of these items in the context menus for images, but will not say more until I've reviewed the help.

Regardless, thanks for helping me out everyone!

- j

Richard

Quote from: Ferdinand on January 15, 2014, 12:11:11 PM
I get a little distressed to read the number of questions that could be answered if people only read the help.  It seems easier to ask a question on the forum than to read the help.
Ditto

Mario

Quote from: John on January 15, 2014, 03:24:57 PM
I hadn't noticed that Properties pane was part of the panel and still wonder if there shouldn't be entries for some of these items in the context menus for images, but will not say more until I've reviewed the help.

The Property panels visible below the Folder & Media tree shows the properties of the selected folder or category, respective. Properties are things like the folder name, size, color options, friendly name etc. These are all properties IMatch manages per folder. Similar property panels are available in the Category View, the Timeline View and the Collection view. They always display properties of the currently selected 'object' in these views.

For individual files, IMatch displays information in the Metadata Panel, Keyword Panel, History Panel and the about a dozen other panels you can show and hide, depending on your requirements and preferences.

I'm not quite sure what you would expect in the "context menu of images" in this context...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook