Where is thesaurus data stored and how to get rid of them?

Started by joel23, January 30, 2014, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel23

Hi,
by accident I imported a keyword list (text) to Canon:CameraInfo450D_etc., the first entry in the my list when you I do a text import.
I wonder where those entries are coming from and where the values for them are stored, how I would be able to get rid of them and since there are no other camera related entries, why the first entry in this list I see is "Canon:CameraInfo\450D\271\OwnerName" but no other "Canon:CameraInfo\xxx\Ownername" entries?

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

JohnZeman

Can't you delete the unwanted items directly from the thesaurus manager?

joel23

Quote from: JohnZeman on January 30, 2014, 10:33:26 PM
Can't you delete the unwanted items directly from the thesaurus manager?
Thanks for your suggestion, but since I don't import the list as/to keywords, they are not visible there.

In case of the thesaurus entries for the "Canon:CameraInfo\450D\271\OwnerName" tag to which I accidentally imported a keywords list, I need to load a 450D RAW and click on the CamraInfo/OwnerName tag in the Metadata Panel, click "Open Thesaurus" and I can see the list - but can't delete it in there.
I believe the list is stored in the database, but I don't see any way to get rid of it (other than using an SqlLite editor)
regards,
Joerg

Mario

The thesaurus can store data for all metadata tags supported by IMatch.
The top level element is called "entry" and represents the tag, e.g. a keyword tag or in your case some Canon tag. The entry is created when you set/add the first value for a given tag.

You can add entries to the thesaurus from the metadata panel via the Add to thesaurus menu command and keyboard shortcut. You can also import entries from within the thesaurus manager, via the import function provided there.

My guess is that you have used the "Import from Database" command to import all unique values for the given Canon tag, or something. No idea.

Just select the entry in the thesaurus manager and delete it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

Ah okay, so I guess there should be corresponding entries visible in the thesaurus manager, but there are none, that's why I was asking...

regards,
Joerg

Mario

I don't understand.
What exactly is what you do, what you want to achieve?
Do you import data from text files into the thesaurus? Which data and into which entry?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: joel23 on January 31, 2014, 10:55:28 AM
Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

Ah okay, so I guess there should be corresponding entries visible in the thesaurus manager, but there are none, that's why I was asking...
By default, the Thesaurus Manager shows Keywords, but other categories of data can also be accessed via the drop-down. The drop-down arrow is pretty subtle, so it's easy to miss - I did for quite a while. See screen shot.

John

joel23

Wuah, thanks a lot jch2103, that's it. I didn't know this is a drop down menu never ever saw a reason to click on the bar  :'(
Also the help does not point to it...

@Mario it might be better to put this tiny little arrow to the left side or a big larger. Imagine having the manager open in almost full view on a 28''+ monitor. Unlikely that someone gazes to the very far right to find it.
regards,
Joerg

Mario

Quote@Mario it might be better to put this tiny little arrow to the left side or a big larger. Imagine having the manager open in almost full view on a 28''+ monitor. Unlikely that someone gazes to the very far right to find it.

This is a standard drop-box control, like all other drop-boxes in IMatch. The visual appearance is affected by the Windows theme used and other aspects. I'd rather not spent  half a days trying to figure out how to change the visual appearance of this control element in the thesaurus. I use large monitors myself.

I will add another screen shot to the help, directly into the text where the entry and the drop-down are explained.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Yes, it does look like other drop-down boxes in IMatch. I think what threw folks like me and joel23 off initially is that the window is so wide (and I understand why) that a user's attention is drawn to the left side and the drop-down control may not be noticed. I agree that you shouldn't spend time trying to 'fix' this; expanding the Help, especially with a screen shot, should help. But I do expect some users will not discover this important capability at first.
John

joel23

Quote from: jch2103 on January 31, 2014, 08:02:49 PM
I agree that you shouldn't spend time trying to 'fix' this; expanding the Help, especially with a screen shot, should help. But I do expect some users will not discover this important capability at first.
Agree.
I had the default theme active and by this black fonts/symbols on a grey bar (ich war mit grau eigentlich bisher zufrieden ©Ödipussy)
regards,
Joerg