text summary of an images properties

Started by reader, February 15, 2014, 08:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reader

I'm plenty green enough to still be poking around the UI.  Today I noticed I was not able to find a certain kind of view about a files properties.

In 3.6 we could have that properties window open at the bottom of main screen, and if you showed the category tab, for each picture you would see a text summary of any category relationships.  If you had a person in category:
'family', subcategory 'A-G', sub sub category 'name'.

Then when you clicked on an image containing your aunt Vivian you would see something like:
family.R-Z.vivian ... The category structure Vivian belongs to, using dots to show the structure.

But if you also had Aunt Vivian in a category called 'HomelyAsAMudFence' then you would see

family.R-Z.Vivian
HomelyAsAMudFence

I see a `properties' tab in the left most pane below where the media hierarchy is displayed, but it does not seem to show category relations in text view.  It seems only to be related to whichever tab you have on display from the tabs at the top of that left area.
If you have categories tab open then the properties are only about the actual category folder under focus.  It is not related to whatever image have your cursor on.

Is there some way, in im5, to see a summary of properties in text format, similar to that old window with tabs in im3.6?

Mario

See the Current tab in the Category Panel. It displays the categories the selected images is assigned to. Optionally including data-driven and @Keyword categories.

See Category Panel in the help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

reader

Quote from: Mario on February 15, 2014, 08:28:59 PM
See the Current tab in the Category Panel. It displays the categories the selected images is assigned to. Optionally including data-driven and @Keyword categories.

OK, thanks, I see it now.  However, it still is not text based so can't copy paste or type something in like the old properties panel. 
That ability was pretty handy.

I'm just curious if making the interface more text aware or whatever it is called is hard to accomplish in modern applications?

I notice a few other places where the ability to copy text would be handy as heck.

One that comes to mind is noticing how the full address to a file shows up at the bottom below the File window, when you click an image.  It would be very handy if that were accessible to copy/paste.

Maybe I'm slipping into the 'Features Request' area again.  But what I'm asking here is if it would be a difficult thing to do.
I'm no kind of programmer.... Just asking if making some things in the interface accessible to copy/paste or even editing where it makes sense, would be difficult to arrange.

That old `properties panel' in 3.6 was really handy and primarily (to me anyway) because you could actually edit stuff there. At least the categories tab allowed that.

Many a time I'd gotten overzealous in sticking things into the wrong categories, but I could see it in a glance and fix it just about as fast by editing / deleting / etc ... the text.  One of nicest, most comfortable aspects of that panel in 3.6 was that you could leave it up while doing other stuff and any pictures you accessed, you could take a quick glance and fix things as you were doing other tasks.

I realize I can get the full path of files by Clipboard/copy, but unless I asked here (which I did a good while ago) I don't think I would ever have stumbled across that ability.  Maybe it is common in many applications, but I never ran into it before. Whereas, you can't miss the address to a file popping up at the bottom of the screen.  If that could be copied... it would be the quickest way to get that info into something else.  And, dare I say the much overused and abused word... it would be 'intuitive'.

reader

Quote from: reader on February 15, 2014, 11:31:35 PM
Quote from: Mario on February 15, 2014, 08:28:59 PM

OK, thanks, I see it now.  However, it still is not text based so can't copy paste or type something in like the old properties panel. 
That ability was pretty handy.

[..]

That old `properties panel' in 3.6 was really handy and primarily (to me anyway) because you could actually edit stuff there. At least the categories tab allowed that.

Many a time I'd gotten overzealous in sticking things into the wrong categories, but I could see it in a glance and fix it just about as fast by editing / deleting / etc ... the text.  One of nicest, most comfortable aspects of that panel in 3.6 was that you could leave it up while doing other stuff and any pictures you accessed, you could take a quick glance and fix things as you were doing other tasks.

[...]

Looks like I got a little overzealous in the above referenced post.... remembering stuff that wasn't there.
It was not text editable but there were a few things you could do like delete wrong categories.

Sorry about misstating how 3.6 worked.

Mario

You can delete categories in the Category Panel as well (except data-driven categories of course).
Just remove the X in the check box. This works identically whether you use the Categories tree or the Current list. The Recent tab shows you recently used categories.
The IMatch help (just press <F1>) gives you detailed information.

QuoteOK, thanks, I see it now.  However, it still is not text based so can't copy paste or type something in like the old properties panel. 

You could never "type" in the Categories panel. I think you confuse the Categories Panel with the property editor in IMatch 3. Properties have been superseded by Attributes in IMatch 5. A much improved concept.

I recommend you take the time and read the IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 Migration Guide in the help, which explains this and also lists all other concepts which are different in IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook