Search for file name

Started by pbaraby, February 24, 2014, 09:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbaraby

In Imatch 3 I used a lot the Search for file name. Eg looking for file 2014-02-09_2750 or 2014-02-09_2750-e or other version in different folders and it  was fast. Now on the search bar if a paste this file name in the Files and Folder, I must select Database in the left panel to get it. If I select the folder My images, the file won't show up. I have to select the 2014-02-09 folder to see it. I thing I'm missing something.

herman

Hi,

Welcome to the IMatch beta tester group!

IM5 search operates on files currently in the file window.
As the help file states:
QuoteAbout two seconds after you stop typing, the search bar searches all files currently loaded in the file window. You can continue typing anyway, the search will stop automatically and continue when you stop typing again.

If the file does not show up in "My Images", do you have "Show files with hierarchy" selected so that all images in the "My Images" folder structure are brought into the file window?

Hope this helps,
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

IMatch 5 gives you a lot more control about where you want to search / filter.

Like all filters (there is also a special File Name filter, if you have not tried it) the search bar works on the active scope. The scope are all the files you currently see in the file window.

+ If you want to search the entire database, you click on the database node.
+ If you want to search only on a specific drive, you select that drive.
+ If you want to search only in one or more folders, you select these folders.
+ If you want to search only in one or more collections, you select these collections in the Collection view.
+ If you want to search only within a given year, or month etc. you select the corresponding node in the time line.

Remember: The scope controls where the search bar searches  or on which files the Filter Panel operates.

Note: By default IMatch shows the files in the selected folder and does not also show all files in sub-folders. Like Windows Explorer.
To see the files in a folder and some or all of its sub-folders, enable the hierarchical mode in the file window (toolbar button).
The search bar will then also search files the sub-folders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pbaraby

Ferdinand

I guess the point here is that in V3.6 it was easy to search the whole DB, but targeted searches took more effort.  In V5, the search is targeted by default, and a whole of DB search takes slightly more effort, but only ever so slightly (to select the DB node or @All).

pbaraby

Now I understand! The key word was active scope. Maybe my English was not good enough because I did read the help file. The other element was the hierarchical mode. For me, a search bar is more like the Explorer or Spotlight. They search everywhere unless you restrict it. Maybe we should name it a filter bar and not a search bar. My confusion come mainly from that.

I'm not a professional but I'm using Imatch from a long time but maybe only 15% of the possibilities because it is sometime difficult to understand all the concept in it and the learning curve might be quite steep. It probably explain why the principal tool I've been using his the Category more than keyword or everything else.

Mario

QuoteFor me, a search bar is more like the Explorer or Spotlight. They search everywhere unless you restrict it. Maybe we should name it a filter bar and not a search bar. My confusion come mainly from that.

Windows Explorer searches in the current folder recursively when you use the "search bar".
I think most users like it this way (not searching the entire database by default).

For a full explanation of the scope concept, type scope into the help index.
I have also added an extra info bar to the search bar topic, explaining that the search bar also uses the current scope and does not search the entire database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

reader

Quote from: Mario on February 27, 2014, 03:26:57 PM
QuoteFor me, a search bar is more like the Explorer or Spotlight. They search everywhere unless you restrict it. Maybe we should name it a filter bar and not a search bar. My confusion come mainly from that.

Windows Explorer searches in the current folder recursively when you use the "search bar".
I think most users like it this way (not searching the entire database by default).

For a full explanation of the scope concept, type scope into the help index.
I have also added an extra info bar to the search bar topic, explaining that the search bar also uses the current scope and does not search the entire database.

I was confused by the setup at first too and it still seems like it should be made plain right from the start what kind of search is done where.

Mario has expressed a desire to consider doing something to make that happen at some point.

In the meantime.  If you fiddle around in the filter area just a little... it will start to seem like a very wise soul had something to do with it.  It can do about any search you can dream up, including regular expression search of the whole db which is a very good thing.  And of course the every popular 'filename' search, but can also do just about any other kind of search known to man.

I also was non-plussed a bit when the result of searches didn't look just like I expected.  We are too conditioned by the big MS gods to spot  some original thinking when we first meet it.

pbaraby

QuoteI was confused by the setup at first too and it still seems like it should be made plain right from the start what kind of search is done where.

Using it when you know what to do it just do a great job. I should not have mention Explorer but rather the Windows start button where you can search for file and programs on all disk on your computer. Mac Spotlight is working the same way and the Imatch 3 searc file name was also doing it.

Mario

QuoteI should not have mention Explorer but rather the Windows start button

Every user makes different assumption when he explores a new application. Some users may expect the search bar to work like Explorer (search the current folder only), some users may expect the search bar to search the entire database, and some users may expect something totally different. Assumptions are always tricky, so a quick <F1> may be in order. The IMatch help explains what the search bar does, the many features it has etc.

The help is always worth a read - because the search bar has a lot more features than the rather simple Explorer search box or the search box in the Windows START menu. Check it out.

Side node: The search box in the Windows START menu does not search all your disks. It searches only installed programs, certain system areas and the folder you have explicitly included in the search index.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator