Data driven categories, strange behaviour!

Started by KimAbel, March 19, 2014, 11:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KimAbel

Hello

Hope someone can help me with this :-)

I have made me a data driven category named "Geografi".

Country is level 1 (Composite\Country)
State is level 2 (Composite\State/Province)
City is level 3 (Composite\City)
and Location is level 4 (Composite\Location)

Why do I have lots of categories with zero pictures in it? I thought that the data driven category would display the metadata thats actually in my pictures! How was these categories with zero pictures in it created when there are no pictures with that value? Attached is a screenshot of parts of the category tree.

I also have a category "Norge" with 10 pictures. I have changed all the pictures metadata to "Norway" instead, but the pictures still are visible in the category "Norge"! I can see that the value in ExifTool indeed is changed from Norge to Norway, but the pictures still are visible in the category "Norge". How is this possible?

I have tried to refresh the data driven category.

Regards
Kim Abel

[attachment deleted by admin]

jch2103

Quote from: KimAbel on March 19, 2014, 11:13:56 PM
Why do I have lots of categories with zero pictures in it? I thought that the data driven category would display the metadata thats actually in my pictures! How was these categories with zero pictures in it created when there are no pictures with that value?

The usual reason for a category showing zero photos is that a sub-category has images but the parent doesn't (e.g., you may have images tagged with City = 'Rome' but without a Country tag). When you do a refresh, be sure to select 'Refresh All Categories'.

I've discovered that you only really begin to understand what condition your metadata are in when you have a great tool like IMatch 5!
John

Mario

Have a look at the category Italy. It shows that it has children, but neither Italy nor it's children have any image assigned.
Do you use "Other" in your data-driven categories? By your description, you demand that every of your images has all four levels filled with data, which may not be the case. Unless you use the "Other" level where IMatch can collect files without data on deeper levels, you produce empty data-driven categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KimAbel

The "Other" solved both problems :-)

Thank you both. This data driven category is perfect to fix old mess in the location tag :-)

Kim