@Keywords - Direct Assignment option

Started by JohnZeman, April 06, 2014, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

Mario I know you have valid reasons for not including the same options in special categories such as @keywords, that you have available for regular categories, but one I've never understood is the Direct Assignment option.  It's not available for @keywords however I can toggle the child cats on/off with a script so I'm getting by, but I'm wondering why you don't have that option available in the category properties?

Mario

@Keywords is a data-driven category.
Since data-driven categories come and go, and may be recreated at any time by IMatch, they don't have many user-configurable properties. Except for color-coding because this allows users to dynamically color keywords in the Keywords Panel - cool workflow tool.

I should probably disable access to these properties for data-driven categories in the scripting object model. But maybe these come handy for some specific purposes...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Quote from: Mario on April 10, 2014, 09:06:36 PM
@Keywords is a data-driven category.
Since data-driven categories come and go, and may be recreated at any time by IMatch, they don't have many user-configurable properties. Except for color-coding because this allows users to dynamically color keywords in the Keywords Panel - cool workflow tool.

I should probably disable access to these properties for data-driven categories in the scripting object model. But maybe these come handy for some specific purposes...

I realize @keywords work as data-driven categories to mirror keywords in the category tree, but to some extent @keywords can also work as regular categories too for those of us who don't use regular keywords but want our @keyword category assignments written to file as a backup.  In regards to the latter, it's very useful to me to be able to toggle child @keyword categories on/off with a script.  I'd be sorry to see that functionality disappear although I know I could still do what I need to do occasionally with a filter.