Multiple values in attributes

Started by bjharris, April 12, 2014, 07:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjharris

When an attribute set has multiple values in one column, it disables (or blanks) the entire row. For instance, if one imports the picture dates for a selection, all the images have different values and it is impossible to enter a description like "Family vacation in New York''.  Could the multiple values work like metadata and lockout only the column with multiple values? I don't use attributes because of this.

Mario

When multiple files with different attribute values are selected, the Attribute panel cannot 'merge' this data. From the help:

QuoteWhen you select multiple files, the Attribute panel shows only the data which is common for all selected files. If all of the files have different data, the Attribute panel will be empty!

You can of course see the attribute data by enabling the "Single" mode where IMatch changes the Attribute panel to show "per-file" data for each selected file. And you can add new records for all selected files too.

Please read the section entitled Multiple Selections in the Attribute Panel in the help for details. This explains the options and special commands available when multiple files are selected and these files have different values in the attributes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

It seems to me that the help file only confirms why this feature request was made. 

You can edit the attributes for multiple images in merge mode only if the files have identical attributes, so you can't use merge mode in the OP's example.

You can edit attributes of multiple files in single mode, but only one at a time.  Not very practical for 500 files.

So I support this feature request.

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I have found a rather elegant solution for this, I hope:

In Single mode, when you select multiple rows and then change the contents of an Attribute, this change is copied to all selected rows. Use the <F2> key to start editing to avoid resetting the selection. For Attributes of type Boolean you need to press <SPACE> to toggle the value, clicking the check box would reset the selection.

I think that this is a very good solution and should solve your problems nicely. Will be included in 5.0.160. Or 5.1  :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Mario,
this sounds good for me.

This means: simply select several rows (in single mode), push F2 and then edit the wished fields!?

Great. Have a nice evening ... and don't forget to sleep!  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quotepush F2 and then edit the wished fields!?
Exactly.

Quoteand don't forget to sleep!

No sleep until IMatch 5 is finally out... :-X
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2014, 09:27:53 PM
[No sleep until IMatch 5 is finally out... :-X

... and the money is rolling in. 8)

Thank you from me too for this feature enhancement.  I hope the OP sees it.

Richard