Result Window

Started by cthomas, April 21, 2014, 09:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I'm trying to understand  working with the duplicate search. How can I set up a database so that when I do a duplicate search I would get a result window like the one in this image?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Try this:
1. Select a file, do a Duplicates search. (You need to have duplicates in your collection, of course...)
2. In the Results window, click the 'Show files with hierarchy' drop-down button and choose 'Include originals in the results' (see attached screen shot).
3. To change the size of the thumbnails, use the slider to the right of the Hierarchy button/drop-down.
4. Depending on how you've organized your files and set your IMatch preferences, you may show duplicate files all in one folder below the 'originals' or they may be in subfolders.
5. Experiment. See the Help Index for 'Duplicates', and also try 'Search/visually similar images...'.

John

cthomas

When you are looking for duplicates. Do you select a folder and then select one file or do you select all of the files in the folder.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

QuoteDo you select a folder and then select one file or do you select all of the files in the folder.

No. In IMatch, for all search functions, you first choose a scope. This can be a folder, several folders, one or more categories or even the entire database. Then you select the files you want to run the search on (find duplicates for). Usually, you do a <Ctrl>+<A> in a file window.

The result window in your screen shot uses the "thumbs only" file window layout to fit many files into the available screen estate. The "thumbs only" is one of the standard file window layouts shipped with IMatch.

For each of the original (aka selected) files you run the search for, th result window contains a group of files. In the header is the original file, and below that the matches are displayed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 22, 2014, 12:23:28 AM
QuoteDo you select a folder and then select one file or do you select all of the files in the folder.

No. In IMatch, for all search functions, you first choose a scope. This can be a folder, several folders, one or more categories or even the entire database. Then you select the files you want to run the search on (find duplicates for). Usually, you do a <Ctrl>+<A> in a file window.

The result window in your screen shot uses the "thumbs only" file window layout to fit many files into the available screen estate. The "thumbs only" is one of the standard file window layouts shipped with IMatch.

For each of the original (aka selected) files you run the search for, th result window contains a group of files. In the header is the original file, and below that the matches are displayed.

So if I select a folder and it has 75 files in it and I'm looking for all duplicates in the database I would use  <Ctrl>+<A> to select all 75 files and then select Search Duplicates. Is this correct?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on April 22, 2014, 02:07:51 AM
So if I select a folder and it has 75 files in it and I'm looking for all duplicates in the database I would use  <Ctrl>+<A> to select all 75 files and then select Search Duplicates. Is this correct?

If you do the above, you'll find all (if there are any) of the duplicates among the 75 files. But it won't find duplicates that may exist elsewhere in your database. For that, you'd have to broaden your initial scope.
John

Mario

QuoteSo if I select a folder and it has 75 files in it and I'm looking for all duplicates in the database I would use  <Ctrl>+<A> to select all 75 files and then select Search Duplicates. Is this correct?

Exactly.

The Search functions (Duplicates, Visual Query) always use the currently selected files ('originals') and then search the entire database. The result window then opens and shows one group for each original file with at least one match.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: jch2103 on April 22, 2014, 02:18:01 AM
If you do the above, you'll find all (if there are any) of the duplicates among the 75 files. But it won't find duplicates that may exist elsewhere in your database. For that, you'd have to broaden your initial scope.

That's a misconception. You select the original files (the files you want to run your search on) and the Search function then searches the entire database for matches. You can control how many matches are returned by the search function, but not limit where it searches. That can be done later in the result window by applying a normal filter or by using the search bar above the file window to reduce the matches further.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on April 22, 2014, 07:54:49 AM

That's a misconception.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly.

Cthomas stated that he selected a particular folder (I assume in the Media & Folders view) and then ran Search/Duplicates. I was trying to say that this will return only duplicates of the files that exist within that folder (although IMatch will find duplicates of those files wherever they exist in the database). But IMatch won't find duplicates of files that exist in other folders. For that, one has to change the original scope.
John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on April 22, 2014, 09:24:49 PM
Quote from: Mario on April 22, 2014, 07:54:49 AM

That's a misconception.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly.

Cthomas stated that he selected a particular folder (I assume in the Media & Folders view) and then ran Search/Duplicates. I was trying to say that this will return only duplicates of the files that exist within that folder (although IMatch will find duplicates of those files wherever they exist in the database). But IMatch won't find duplicates of files that exist in other folders. For that, one has to change the original scope.

If I select folder 4 and then I select all of the images in that folder and then do a search -> duplicats it will find all of the duplicate files in that and all of the duplicates in the database. Is this correct?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on April 22, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
If I select folder 4 and then I select all of the images in that folder and then do a search -> duplicats it will find all of the duplicate files in that and all of the duplicates in the database. Is this correct?

It will find all of the duplicate files in that folder and all of the duplicates of the files in that folder anywhere else in the database.
(However, according to your screen shot, there are currently no files in folder 4...!)

If you're looking for any duplicate files anywhere in your database, you'll first need to select the 'top' folder (in your case, Test Images).

Also, as the Help states, Search/Duplicates finds all binary identical images. This means, for example, it won't find a .jpg that appears to be identical to a .cr2. For that, you'll want to do a 'Search/Visually similar images...'.

The best thing is to try out these options.
John

sinus

Quote from: jch2103 on April 23, 2014, 12:40:40 AM
The best thing is to try out these options.

This is a good proposal. Simply create some copies (binary equal, drag n drop) and put it in some other folders. Than you can try and you can see exactly, where IM5 does search.

The help file of IM5 is specialy good, really, but sometimes it is helpful to try some things.

If you have a new car, normally you read (or not  ;D ) the manual and then you try each possibilites, not? At least me  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Richard

Quotesometimes it is helpful to try some things.
I have long advocated that users keep a "test" database for trying anything that they have not done before.

Mario

Quote from: cthomas on April 22, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
It will search the entire database to find all duplicates for the selected files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator