Complex search

Started by pajaro, April 27, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pajaro

What is the best way to search for files with a complex combination of @Keywords, e.g. files containing A and (B not C)? I searched Help and tried Metadata Search but I was not able to figure it out. Thanks.

Pavel.

Mario

There are several ways to do that.

1. You can use the search bar (File Window Toolbar) for that. See the IMatch Help on The Search Engine for syntax and samples. It supports AND, OR and NOT, parentheses etc. The Search Bar is explained in the File Window topic. Just type Search into the Help index.

2. You can also use the @Keywords categories, and the @Builder to visually create your search expression.
If you need the result later often, persist the @Builder result in a formula-based category. This way you can just click on the category to get the result.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pajaro

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2014, 11:13:04 AM
There are several ways to do that.

1. You can use the search bar (File Window Toolbar) for that. See the IMatch Help on The Search Engine for syntax and samples. It supports AND, OR and NOT, parentheses etc. The Search Bar is explained in the File Window topic. Just type Search into the Help index.

2. You can also use the @Keywords categories, and the @Builder to visually create your search expression.
If you need the result later often, persist the @Builder result in a formula-based category. This way you can just click on the category to get the result.

Thanks, Mario. I will give it a try. I actually thought I would use the Search Engine in the Metadata Search in the Filter panel but for some reason it is not available on my system (see attached).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The search engine is there used as well, but the filter supports the simpler "contains" etc. syntax and regular expressions.
See the help for details on filters, the metadata filter, the search engine, the file window search bar and all the other things I mentioned in my post above. Read a bit then give it a try. For your simple search, I would just start in the file window search bar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pajaro

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2014, 01:23:19 PM
The search engine is there used as well, but the filter supports the simpler "contains" etc. syntax and regular expressions.

Thanks for the explanation. I did try the Help file and that's why I was confused re. the Metadata Search because the Help shows a picture of the Metadata Search with "Search Engine" (see attached) that I am not able to find on my system.

BTW I tried the @Builder and it worked perfectly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Good point. That was removed some time ago, when I shipped the new search engine.
Please send me a help feedback email (click on the link available at the bottom of each help page) to inform me about this bug in the help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

pajaro

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2014, 05:05:03 PM
Good point. That was removed some time ago, when I shipped the new search engine.
Please send me a help feedback email (click on the link available at the bottom of each help page) to inform me about this bug in the help.

Done  :)