synonym propagation

Started by Joe Austin, May 03, 2014, 03:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

I would like to see an option on the synonym context in the thesaurus that would, when you are going through the thesaurus adding synonyms,  allow you to right click on the synonym header under the keyword and select an option that would propagate those newly entered synonyms (or just all of the synonyms for that keyword) to all images in the database that already have the keyword.

Mario

How often will this be needed?
What happens if the keywords is assigned to 5000 files?
What happens if the user has background write-back enabled and this operation will cause IMatch to start writing changes to 5000 files?

Why don't you just:

a) Click on the @Keyword category
b) Select all files
c) Add the synonym (which is just a normal keyword everywhere except in the thesaurus) in the Keyword Panel

Done.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2014, 05:50:12 PM
How often will this be needed?  Each user will vary for me it would be occasional
What happens if the keywords is assigned to 5000 files? Then 5000 files need updating.
What happens if the user has background write-back enabled and this operation will cause IMatch to start writing changes to 5000 files?This task would be prompted by the user so they should be aware of the scope of the change they are requesting and the time it will take to complete.

Why don't you just:

a) Click on the @Keyword category
b) Select all files
c) Add the synonym (which is just a normal keyword everywhere except in the thesaurus) in the Keyword Panel

Done.

Sounds simple if you are imagining adding a synonym to a keyword here or there.   But for a user contemplating a switch to a new software, and anticipating improving their use of keywords,  they (i.e. I) might wish to go through the thesaurus adding three or four synonyms to each of 30 or 40 keywords.  Having done that, in order to follow your suggestion,  I would have to keep a list on the side of all the synonyms I added to all the keywords I improved and then go back and look up those 30 or 40 keywords in the keyword category selecting all the images and retyping the new synonyms in as new keywords for those images.  That is the scenario I believe would be improved by this feature.

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2014, 05:50:12 PM
How often will this be needed?
I can see the need for this in my case.  I have a thesaurus with many scientific botanical taxonomic terms.  Many of these have common names and scientific synonyms, which it is my intention gradually to enter in the the future.  When I do this, a facility such as that requested would be welcome.