Is there some mystery about manual sorting of file window?

Started by reader, May 03, 2014, 03:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reader

Wanting to do a manual sort of the 'File window'  I scanned thru the dropdown profiles.
I assumed the 'custom' entry would be the one.  So selected that, but was not able to drag icons around.

Ok, open the help menu and find in an index search 'Custom sort order'

Following that up I see in several places something like this:

To sort files manually, choose the 'Custom' sort profile in the sort profile drop-down list.
Now you can select one or more files and drag them with the mouse into another position
within the file window. While you are dragging the selected files, IMatch displays a yellow
insert marker which designates the new position of the dragged file(s).

So tried again selecting 'custom' but again, dragging files does not work.

Reading further I find some directions to `reset' custom.  Part of it being that you cannot 'reset custom'
unless custom is inactive.

Ok, so I selected a different sort profile called 'added'.  And using context menu selected 'reset custom sort'.

Then selected 'custom' in the profile dropdown again.... but once again, I cannot drag files around.

Is there more required... or is something wrong here?

Richard

I just tried it again with 5.0.154 and it worked as stated for me.

I also tried selecting several files and that too works as stated.

reader

Quote from: Richard on May 03, 2014, 05:25:41 PM

Thank you, that makes it clear its a local problem and probably pilot error.

From my description of what I tried can you see something I screwed up?
One thing I didn't try to do was to shutdown IM5 and restart it... trying that now

Haaa ... that saved the day.... works just like one expects.

Still a bit puzzled about what was going on... but very suspicious of pilot error

Thank you for the prodding

reader

Quote from: reader on May 03, 2014, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: Richard on May 03, 2014, 05:25:41 PM

Thank you, that makes it clear its a local problem and probably pilot error.

From my description of what I tried can you see something I screwed up?
One thing I didn't try to do was to shutdown IM5 and restart it... trying that now

Haaa ... that saved the day.... works just like one expects.

Still a bit puzzled about what was going on... but very suspicious of pilot error

Thank you for the prodding
Taking a slight liberty with the thread.... my aim in sight when I had trouble manual sorting was to setup the file window
to produce a contact sheet. 

Of course I soon realized I had no idea how that might be done in IM5, so hit the help file again... only to find
no hits on 'contact sheet' in 'index' search or 'word' search.

There was a good (somewhat complex) setup for contact sheets in IM3.... is there not in IM5?

Mario

There are no contact sheets in IMatch 5. Printing has been scheduled for a later release. There are so many free and useful tools around to print images (you can usually just drag and drop files from IMatch to these tools) that it is not really necessary to spend months developing something similar. I currently can use that time better for other features which are more native to a DAM.

When you say "dragging files does not work", in which View where you? IMatch can store custom sort orders for folders and categories and timeline nodes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

reader

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2014, 05:57:38 PM
There are no contact sheets in IMatch 5. Printing has been scheduled for a later release. There are so many free and useful tools around to print images (you can usually just drag and drop files from IMatch to these tools) that it is not really necessary to spend months developing something similar. I currently can use that time better for other features which are more native to a DAM.

When you say "dragging files does not work", in which View where you? IMatch can store custom sort orders for folders and categories and timeline nodes.

Since IM3 had it... I expected it in 5.
Thanks for the info... I follow your reasoning...

I am totally floored by your ability to keep up with the massive amount of possibilities already in IM.
Hats off to Mario.... and thanks for stopping a moment to explain