Title and Description of a picture not taken over from Imatch3.6?

Started by voronwe, May 04, 2014, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voronwe

Hi

In Imatch 3.6 I gve a lot of files a Title and a description, as can be seen in the example (IMatch36.png). These Information was not stored in the MetaData of the file.

I converted my DB to IMatch5, but can not find this information anymore. The only one I found so far was the App-Panel1, but there the information is empty (see Imatch5.png)

So Questions are the following:
1) Where can I find the Title and Description information written inside the IMatch3.6 DB in IMatch5?
2) How can I edit the Title and Description in IMatch5, because App-Panel1 seems to be read-only

Greetings

Thorsten

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richard

Your Title and Description are entires in Properties in IMatch 3. In IMatch 5 they should be in Attributes.

JohnZeman

In addition to what Richard said, in IMatch 3 you'll need to export your properties, then in IMatch 5 > Preferences > Edit Attributes, create a new attributes set and import your IMatch 3 properties into it.

However I strongly suggest you read the IMatch help section on Attributes first though, it's far more powerful than properties were so you have to do things a little differently.

Mario

No need to do a manual import. Properties are automatically migrated by the Database Converter.

To see the converted properties in your IMatch 5 database, open the Attributes panel: View menu > Panels > Attributes.

Please read the IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 Migration Guide in the IMatch help. This topic explains all this, and the other differences between IMatch 5 and IMatch 3. The help file for the Database Converter also explains that. Reading these two topics at least, plus the mandatory Beta Tester Guide and the "Meeting IMatch" topic should get you on the way with IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Quote from: Mario on May 04, 2014, 06:14:16 PM
No need to do a manual import. Properties are automatically migrated by the Database Converter.

Ah.  Because I had imported my IMatch 3 images before you created the database converter I didn't know this.
Good to know!

voronwe

Ok, thanks for your help, so I found it, but I found out that this is too complex for what I want to do

I found out that what I want to do is the following:
Add the title and description into the Metadata -> I think for new Pictures I can handle it that way.

This is working well now in IMatch5 (your help gava me the right idea how to do it). ANd I think because using the Properties in IMatch 3.6 was so easy I never did it with the Metadata.

However, what I have ot find out is whether  there is a way to convert my old IMatch 3 Properties into the Metadata using IMatch5.  I saw already a script which Import MetaData into Attributes, but is there another way round?

Mario

Attributes in IMatch are based on the same idea as properties in IMatch 3. They allow you to create a database in the database, store your own data independent from metadata formats or other limitations. Attribute data stays in the database, is private and works for all file formats - not only formats which happen to support XMP or IPTC metadata.

I don't know how much data you have in Attributes, but moving that data into a metadata format requires some up-front consideration.
XMP is probably the best choice, but it depends on the file formats you use. When you import Attributes into metadata, all files will go into pending write-back (yellow pen) and IMatch will have to write back the data at some point. If you have many files, this can take a while. If you have read-only files or off-line files, IMatch cannot write-back the data etc. If you work with non-image formats, or image files which don't support embedded metadata, IMatch will create XMP sidecar files to contain the data you import from Attributes. This may be OK or not, depending on your workflow.

Read the metadata sections in the help to see how IMatch reads, displays and writes metadata and how you can customize this to meet your requirements.

You can use a Metadata Template to copy data from Attributes into any Metadata tag supported by IMatch if you need to. To help you with that, we need the tag names of the metadata fields you want to copy the data to, and the names of the Attributes (properties) you want to use as the 'data source'.

With that info you can create a metadata template which fills the metadata tags you want, using the variables for the attributes as the source. It's easy and quick.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

voronwe

Sorry for my late reply, I was not able to check it earlier

However, thanks for the Tip with the MetaData Templates. With them I was able to write the Attributes back to the EXIF-Data as I wanted.

Thanks
Thorsten