Identical Filter Result In Both M&F & Categories

Started by Darius1968, May 05, 2014, 04:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Before, in M&F view, filtering had the unwanted side effect for me the if I say entered "wydd", then the corresponding folder would be displayed, but without its child categories.  1st screenshot.

Now, I've just discovered that if I first enable "Show full path for the first level" and then enter "wydd" in the filter box, then the 2nd screenshop proves that "wydd"'s sub-folders will too be displayed, which is what I wanted all along! 

Now, switching over to Category view, the 3rd screenshot shows that without a filter, Category "_Facebook Uploads" has three child categories.  But, after a filter of "Facebook" being applied, those child categories are missing.  How can I filter and maintain those child categories? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The filter looks at the leaf name - the name you see in the tree. It does not consider the entire path in the M&F view, or the fully qualified category name in the category view. In the M&F view you can trick it by displaying the full folder name. No such feature in the category tree (not needed).

I could change the filter to always look at the full name, which will always also return the child objects (sub-folders or child-categories). But I think this may also cause confusion. For example:

I here have filtered for the word write.

And since I switched IMatch to search the full folder name, we also see all child folders. I'm not sure that users will understand this right away or find it useful. You can have hundreds of folders (or categories) without the filtered word in the result.

And I don't want to add another option at this time because so users can control whether they want to include child objects in the result or not. Maybe add a feature request or if users tell me that always returning child objects is OK, I can switch it internally...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I think the option to 'toggle' between displaying sub-folders (child categories) or not is the best approach.  (sub-folder display or suppression is now effectively facilitated by toggling "Yes" or "No" "Show full path for the first level")

For example , yes, if I filter for Nikon, then I only want leaves returned that have "Nikon" in them. 

But, look at the screenshot for Elton John. 

As can be seen, one might want to have all the albums visible from Elton John that don't have "Elton John" in their titles.  I could just modify the MP3 Files properties to reflect that that specific data driven category is filtered to only allow leaves having "Elton" in them, and that does work, but it takes so long for the category to refresh this way.  Is their any way to speed the process up if I go this route? 

Mario

As I said, you might post a feature request. I don't make changes in this area before IMatch is released.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook