Simple way to clear all settings in Filter panel->Categories desired

Started by ubacher, May 08, 2014, 09:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Filter Panel: Categories:

It would be convenient to have a CLEAR ALL SETTINGS.

J.D. McDowell

I just logged in to request the same feature.

There are so many possible filter properties that it can take a while to find the one I forgot to turn off when things are not working as expected.

I agree, I think this is needed.

Mario

Quote from: J.D. McDowell on May 20, 2014, 06:06:38 AM

There are so many possible filter properties that it can take a while to find the one I forgot to turn off when things are not working as expected.

Tip: Save an empty filer under a name like 'Reset All'. Load it to reset all filter settings.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 20, 2014, 07:48:48 AM

Tip: Save an empty filer under a name like 'Reset All'. Load it to reset all filter settings.

This is an easy way and very good tip! I make the same for a lot of programs, mostly it works fine.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I have not tried that, it was just an idea. I need to check if this really works. IMatch uses all kinds of internal optimizations, blends out unused filters etc...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

This was how we did in in 3.6.  I haven't got to this point yet in 5.0, and haven't tried the tip yet, but I guess I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated in V5, along with its overall sophisticated nature.

But not a priority.

Mario

Quotebut I guess I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated in V5,

It is impossible for me to foresee every wish, workflow enhancement, shortcut, usability enhancement, feature etc. users will come up with. I do my really best to ship IMatch with a sophisticated feature set. And then I wait what users come up with, what their needs are and the features they request.  That works best. We have now about 150 open feature requests so there is plenty of things to optimize over the upcoming versions. And I'm sure when more users start using IMatch, more usability and workflow optimization requests will be added here.

When I add a reset all filter settings, some users will probably request an "all filters, except these" request   ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Tried Mario's suggestion using a preset sans categories. Did not work.

BTW: In the Rating,Label & Collections filter there is a RESET ALL button. Let it be our inspiration.

ubacher

Ferdinand

I hadn't noticed this.  I guess so.  But I have a problem with the thumbs not refreshing when I use this option, so I will file a bug report.

StanRohrer

I tried this a couple weeks ago and the Reset All Filters seemed to just add to the existing filters and not actually clear the settings. If someone knows how to make this work I would be very happy. A Reset All button would also be welcome. I do get one obscure setting left somewhere that often trips me up when I finish one job and jump into another with a completely different mindset.

Ferdinand

Quote from: StanRohrer on November 18, 2014, 02:46:26 AM
the Reset All Filters seemed to just add to the existing filters and not actually clear the settings.

If you're referring to saving a filter with nothing checked, no, it's already been established that that doesn't work in IMatch 5, even though it did in 3.6.

However if in the filter panel toolbar you click the little down arrow next to the gear icon, you'll find a "reset active filter" option.

StanRohrer

Quote from: Ferdinand on November 18, 2014, 11:53:54 AM
Quote from: StanRohrer on November 18, 2014, 02:46:26 AM
the Reset All Filters seemed to just add to the existing filters and not actually clear the settings.

If you're referring to saving a filter with nothing checked, no, it's already been established that that doesn't work in IMatch 5, even though it did in 3.6.

However if in the filter panel toolbar you click the little down arrow next to the gear icon, you'll find a "reset active filter" option.

But, as I recall, the little gear "reset active filter" does not clear the keywords selected under Value Filter: Keywords. Of my 120,000 keywords I tend to leave one somewhere active. Fortunately you have provided another button to clear those (I have recently found). But this takes a number of clicks to really get the filters all cleared by clicking on the various "resets". In my opinion the gear reset should also get the keywords and take me all the way back to a clean default.