propagating XMP without LR - keywords tweak

Started by Ferdinand, May 20, 2014, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

I'm not sure is this is a bug or a feature request.  I've discovered a quirk in XMP propagation if you choose "XMP without LR/CRS data".  This will also copy the flat keywords, but because the hierarchical keywords are in the xmp-lr space they won't be copied, whereas they would be under the other XMP copy options.  This produces some strange artifacts after propagation, assuming that you have "look up keywords via thesaurus" enabled.  The file is assigned to all the nodes in the hierarchy, and not just the leaf.

I was alerted to this as I'm doing a little scripting in this area.  I found the following worked for me:

"-xmp:all  --xmp-lr:All  --xmp-crs:All --xmp-tiff:Orientation -xmp-lr:hierarchicalSubject"

In my testing the order is important.  If you do a clear XMP first, which is not uncommon and what the propagation command seems to do, then you have to explicitly copy the hierachical keywords, and do so last.  The XMP clear command clears them and the general XMP copy that excludes the LR space will skip them and also seems to wipe the keywords copied in the -xmp:all command.

Ferdinand

I've had a further thought.  In the propagation options why is "without LR" bundled together with "without CRS"?  From what I can see, the xmp-lr space is generally useful, whereas the xmp-crs space is not for developed images and it takes up a lot of space.  Why not just a "XMP without CRS data" option?  This would solve the problems with keywords outlined in the first post.

Mario

Already did that when adding the skip orientation option for the next build.
These sets are defined in an XML file can can be changed easily.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand