Is this worth a feature request or is the functionality there already?

Started by reader, July 05, 2013, 01:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reader

In Category mode, or after using the 'find tool' to find a specific file when in Media & folders:
I checked on some files that appear to be causing some problems.. (Posted elsewhere). I right clicked expecting to find an option to go to the directory with she selected file in it.  I don't mean to to open explorer but to to be navigated to it in files screen.

Does anyone else think that would be a handy item to have on the context menu?  Or is that functionality already available with a click or two?

jch2103

John

Mario

Context menu of the file > Open in Windows Explorer  (<Ctrl>+<Shift>+<E>).
This opens a Windows Explorer window with the file selected.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Quote from: reader on July 05, 2013, 01:11:51 AMI right clicked expecting to find an option to go to the directory with she selected file in it.  I don't mean to to open explorer but to to be navigated to it in files screen.

CTRL-G ?  Which is in the right click menu for me as Goto Folder

reader

Quote from: jch2103 on July 05, 2013, 01:24:06 AM
Try right-clicking on the folder name.

I must be missing something ... I don't really see how any of those choices help in any way.

It might cause the folder on the left to appear open... but you would be hard pressed to find it in a long list of folders.
And if you happen to have the left hand view of Media-folders rolled up to the top level... it seem none of those selections help in any way.

Are maybe I wasn't clear:
I don't mean to to open explorer but to to be navigated to it in files screen

Maybe that should say navigated to it in files and left media-folders screen

Some way to make it clear where it is in the data base.  I don't mean just showing the address as the top bar of files screen does, but display it by focus on media-folders going to that folder... and the file appearing on files screen.. highlighted withing that folder.

reader

Quote from: Mario on July 05, 2013, 08:43:43 AM
Context menu of the file > Open in Windows Explorer  (<Ctrl>+<Shift>+<E>).
This opens a Windows Explorer window with the file selected.
Perhaps my OP was not clear:

I don't mean to to open explorer but ...

I was expecting an option to make the media-folders view switch focus to the folder containing the file, similar to how Adobe Bridge can do.   If you click on a top level directory and set the view to "Show Items in Subfolders" then all the files under it
appear as they do in im5.  But right clicking a file way down the levels shows a menu item "Reveal in Bridge"  Which changes focus on left folder view to the folder containing the file.  Revealing the folder in left folder view and the contents in right "files" view.

jch2103

If you're in the Categories, Timeline or Collections tabs, does 'Go to folder' in the context menu meet your needs? At least on my computer, doing so brings focus to the Media & folder tab and to the focused file.
John

reader

Quote from: Ferdinand on July 05, 2013, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: reader on July 05, 2013, 01:11:51 AMI right clicked expecting to find an option to go to the directory with she selected file in it.  I don't mean to to open explorer but to to be navigated to it in files screen.

CTRL-G ?  Which is in the right click menu for me as Goto Folder

Ah... I see what you are talking about now... In the Media-folders view that item reads Go to timeline  C+G.

However a Ctrl-g (lower case 'g') does go to folder... its just not on the right click menu.

Also from Categories mode C+g (lowercase) does what seems sort of peculiar... it goes to the folder in folder view but does not display the file... that seems odd

jch2103

[
Also from Categories mode C+g (lowercase) does what seems sort of peculiar... it goes to the folder in folder view but does not display the file... that seems odd

Can you clarify? On my computer, if I'm in Categories mode and select a file in the file window, pressing Control-g (or right-clicking and choosing 'Goto folder') takes me to the Media & Folders view with the file highlighted in the File window.
John

Mario

There is no Goto Folder in the Media & Folders View. You are already looking at the folder...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook