Collapsing category hierarchy

Started by DigPeter, June 13, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

Is it possible to collapse all expanded categories in category view with one command?  If not, could one be made available?

I have a hierarchical category tree with many of the nodes which have very many leaf categories. The attachment shows part of the tree.  For instance, the node "Orchidaceae" has a large number of leaves.  If a leaf near the end of this node is selected, it is necessary to scroll up to the node in order to collapse it.  The attachment also shows other expanded nodes.  It would be be very convenient to be able to collapse all these in one operation.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The Windows tree control offers several such commands, via the NumPad. Try + - x etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on June 13, 2014, 07:43:35 PM
The Windows tree control offers several such commands, via the NumPad. Try + - x etc.
Thanks Mario - I have tried all the number pad keys, but none of them do anything.  (Number lock was on).

JohnZeman

Quote from: DigPeter on June 13, 2014, 07:50:05 PM
Thanks Mario - I have tried all the number pad keys, but none of them do anything.  (Number lock was on).

numlock doesn't matter so I suspect you didn't have the focus set on the top branch of the category tree you want to expand or collapse.

Expanding and Collapsing Folder or Category Trees

NumPad +       Expand the currently selected folder.
NumPad -       Collapse the currently selected folder.

NumPad *       Expand the currently selected folder, including all sub-folders, recursively.
NumPad Ctrl+*    Collapse all sub-folders of the currently selected folder.

Cursor right       Expands the currently selected folder if not expanded, else goes to the first sub-folder.
Cursor left       Collapses the currently selected folder if expanded, else goes to the parent.

See the Working with Media & Folders page in help for more information.

DigPeter

Thanks John.  I did look, but it was a needle in a haystack problem!  I thought that there had to be a method in this all encompassing application.

What I was looking for is:

NumPad *   Expand the currently selected folder, including all sub-folders, recursively.
NumPad Ctrl+*   Collapse all sub-folders of the currently selected folder.