Propating Information to Versions

Started by Erik, June 09, 2014, 05:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik

Three possible features

(1) I think it would be useful if a user could force propagation while in the Versions Panel. 

If I bring a new file into the database that is a version of another file, I cannot propagate data to it unless I have the Master File selected, which requires multiple steps to get to the Master. If the Version Panel is Open, It would seem logical that one could force the propagation from there and at least bypass the additional navigation and steps to the Master file.

(2) Similarly, it would be convenient if one could trigger propagation while a version is selected, which would allow a person to skip having to go to the Master file or even to the Version Panel.  i.e. Allow the command menu and F4,P option to be available for any file in a version set, not just the Master.

For example, all new files are scanned into my database into a collection reserved for new files.  All the new files in this instance are versions of files that are already in the database.  If I am browsing in this collection, propagating the information for versioning requires me to select the master (which is not in the "New" collection) and then select propagate.

(3) If I'm editing files and create a new version and it gets scanned into IM as a new file, I would request that propagation from the Master to this new version (new file) should be automatic.  I would think most users would want this.  Right now propagation is only automatic when the Master is changed, but I think it should also be automatic when a New version is created (at least if it is a new file).  This would only have to be done to the new file. 

I think a similar feature request was made a while back, but it's become apparent to me that this would be a key feature of making versioning work well for users.  If not, at least a little more flexibility for a user to trigger propagation via (1) and (2) above could be useful.  As my database grows, the difficulty of propagating data to my version files will only become more difficult.

-Erik

Ferdinand

This is related to a feature request I made some time ago:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1569.0
Do you consider that my request conflicts with yours in any way?  I hope not.  I think it would be useful for your new files collection in point 2.

I have some of the same issues as you, and I'm still working out how to deal with them.  If my feature request was implemented then it would help a lot.  What I am doing at the moment is using a script I wrote:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=519.0
I much prefer the results window that this script produces to the versions panel and the show masters and versions command which produces a view with a hierarchy (I am traveling with a non-Windows computer, so I forget the name of this feature).

I have my script assigned to the F8,P key sequence.  So I select the target files, run the script by F8,P, then in the results window I filter for master files and propagate using F4,P.  It's the best approach that I have found so far.

The issue of automatic propagation was discussed during the beta test and Mario was very resistant to the idea.  I expect that he will be again.  I could live without it if my feature request was implemented.

Erik

Ferdinand,

I'd say its a similar request, although not exactly the same (but yours would work).

I'd like to see it possible that if a new file is brought into the database that propagation happens if it is found to be a version of a master.  That is related in that I'm looking for the propagation to be to one specific file.  I actually hadn't thought much about what I was thinking of in the context of your request.   I actually referred (qualitatively) to another post asking for something similar as well.

As it is, the propagation only happens when something is done to the master (keywords, etc), but in my workflow, and I would suspect most people's, all of my metadata work is done on first ingestion of a "master" file.  Once I'm at the point of processing, the only thing that is new are the versions, and I'd almost never touch the master's again.  As it is, those versions come in and the only thing that is connected is the fact that it's a version.  Propagation doesn't happen.

It would be nice if there was a way to make it happen.  As I mentioned, I hadn't even thought about the fact that even by manually forcing propagation, it will occur to all versions and not just the new one.  I'll definitely support your feature request.  I'm hoping this one will get a bit of support or perhaps merged together, or even one of the first two options so that I can just force the propagation as it is without searching for the master.

I will definitely take a look at your script.  Without looking at it, yet, I was thinking of setting up something similar to automatically put the masters for all new files into a collection or category, so I could quickly propagate to versions (which would obviously include those already propagated).

ubacher

I support the request that propagation is automatic when a version is newly added and recognized as such.

An alternative (or additional feature) would be to allow triggering a propagation from a script.
( I have not tested this: I assume if I assign/deassign (say) a category on a master via a script it does not
invoke the automatic propagation routine. If it did this would be a way to achieve propagation via a script.)

An aside: I have found that it is quite tricky to set up the propagation rules - in particular what categories to propagate.
What I want to propagate in one case is inappropriate in another.

bobglass

Quote from: Erik on June 09, 2014, 05:25:08 AM
(3) If I'm editing files and create a new version and it gets scanned into IM as a new file, I would request that propagation from the Master to this new version (new file) should be automatic.

+1 on this feature request. Perhaps it could be selected as an option on the versioning tab.

Joe Austin

+1

I am actually quite surprised to learn that "Automatically propagate data from masters to versions"  excludes newly imported versions.   Why?

Mario

IMatch propagates changes you make to the master to versions. When you create/import new versions, no changes are made to the master and the newly imported files will not get all the metadata from the master. If you want to do that, select the masters and press <F4>,<P>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

My problem with this is that it propagates to all versions and only the newly imported ones need it.  I suspect that you'll keep getting this request.  My feature request:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1569.0
may be a way of dealing with requests for auto-propagation for new versions.