Filtering with category exclusion

Started by Aubrey, June 10, 2014, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I was trying to show all my images taken with various lenses that have 2 stars, I wanted to exclude any photos in the category family.

I selected the "default" category 300mm lens (or something close to this, I'm not sitting I front of Imatch) in the filter I selected 2 stars  and got images, I then selected another lens and got images.

Now when switching between lens I would like to exclude the category family as this has personal family photos that I don't want to show. I cann't worked out how to do this.

I know it can be done for a particular lens and a NOT statement, but it would like to quickly switch between lens categories and exclude family.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

When I understand you are working with the Filter Panel?

You have categories for lens data?
What does "switch" mean? Do you switch between the categories in the Category View? Or do you switch which categories you enable in the category filter?

I would need more details to understand what you are doing and trying to do.
In general: The categroy filter allows you to include and exclude one or more categories, optionally including sub-categories. It depends on how often you click the check box. See the help for the category filter for details.

Alternatives would be category formulas or the @Builder.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

When I understand you are working with the Filter Panel?

Not working in filter panel - using selected categories, from IMatch Sample Categories - see categories.jpg

You have categories for lens data?

Exactly - default categories that were added - neat addition by the way!

What does "switch" mean? Do you switch between the categories in the Category View? Or do you switch which categories you enable in the category filter?

When I say switch I mean move to another lens category

So I would like to move to another lens category and continue to have category Family excluded.

This will allow me to show images with 2 Star rating for a particular lens, but exclude family images that have 2 star rating for the same lens.

I would need more details to understand what you are doing and trying to do.
Hopefully provided above.

In general: The category filter allows you to include and exclude one or more categories, optionally including sub-categories. It depends on how often you click the check box. See the help for the category filter for details.

Looked through the help file but having difficulty finding what I would require

Alternatives would be category formulas or the @Builder.

@Builder, works OK if one sets up one lens and then uses a NOT n family, but to change lens one has to set up another formula- I think!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

QuoteThis will allow me to show images with 2 Star rating for a particular lens, but exclude family images that have 2 star rating for the same lens.

That's the key point. You want to see

+ all files assigned to one of your lens category
+ only files with a rating of 2 stars
+ except files which are in the family category

This is what the Filter Panel is for.
You set a filter for rating = 2 and combine that with a Category Filter which excludes the Family category.
Whatever lens category you then select, it will show only the 2 * files which are not in family.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on June 10, 2014, 09:59:33 PM
QuoteThis will allow me to show images with 2 Star rating for a particular lens, but exclude family images that have 2 star rating for the same lens.

You set a filter for rating = 2 and combine that with a Category Filter which excludes the Family category.

I am having difficulty locating the category filter..... :(

From the explanation, I would have thought it was embedded with filters, but I cannot locate it.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

Click on the Gear button in the Filter Panel toolbar to show/hide the filters you need. After enabling the category filter it will be visible in the Category Panel. So far you are showing only the standard filters IMatch enables by default.

I suggest you browse the Filter topic in the IMatch help for information about how to use the Category Filter to achieve what you have in mind.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Whew!
I this is comprehensive!  (perhaps the word complicated is better  :) )

I've read through the help file, very well written but difficult to cover all eventualities

The category  need is NOT I have:
Combined include files with OR
Combine include files with AND

But really need Combine include files with NOT... or with OR inverted.  How can I do this?

Aubrey

Finally figured it out - thew info is in the help file!

One needs to click on the box a number of times to change the filter status.

Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteOne needs to click on the box a number of times to change the filter status.

You got it  :)

QuoteWhew!
I this is comprehensive!  (perhaps the word complicated is better  :) )

I always have to make a decision:

+  Do I go the "Apple way" and reduce functionality to a bare minimum?
This makes the user interface look easy and slick. Much less to document in the help, too.

+  Or do I give users the options they'll need, at risk of making things look more complex?

I usually go for door 2 because IMatch 5 is a software for grown-ups which need to do more than a 'bare minimum'. You may not need all the features yet - or maybe never). But others do. IMatch users typically use maybe 40% of the software, but different 40%!

The key point is that you can learn as you go. If you have a task at hand, there is a very good chance that IMatch has a feature or option which does the trick. And the IMatch help and this community are there to help you make use of it.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Richard

QuoteThe key point is that you can learn as you go. If you have a task at hand, there is a very good chance that IMatch has a feature or option which does the trick. And the IMatch help and this community are there to help you make use of it.

That statement needs to be understood by anyone using IMatch.