Taxonomies?

Started by photoken, June 14, 2014, 07:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photoken

Anyone have a good set of sources for taxonomies that I can import into the Categories?  I'm interested in:

• Geographical places
  • Flora
  • Fauna
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.

DigPeter

I would be interested in a flora taxonomy, but it should be selective.  The World flora taxonomy is vast, so I would like to be able to select just Europe and filter out all levels except Family & Species.  The other problem is that the taxonomic names are for ever changing.  Other than manual amendment, I see no way round this.

I have my taxonomy in the thesaurus and select from there to assign to images.   Then only those names that are in use appear in the category view (selectable in properties).

Menace

I have one for myself. But nothing perfect and official; just a slow crowing bunch whatever I pictured.

DigPeter

Quote from: Menace on June 14, 2014, 01:26:13 PM
I have one for myself. But nothing perfect and official; just a slow crowing bunch whatever I pictured.
LOL - exactly what I have!  But I do check on currency, synonyms and spelling on Kew's The Plant List - http://www.theplantlist.org/

Menace

:D  I start (with a complete other software) with Strasburger, than every know and than wikipedia or just what I can renumbered from my studies. After one or two years, I discovered, that my Strasburger is outdated and it changed complete. -.-   ;-)

DigPeter

Yes - it is a mug's game   :(