short-cut key to physically rotate an image/jpg

Started by David Werier, June 14, 2014, 09:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Werier

I would like to request that short-cut keys be available for physically rotating images/jpgs.

Ideally the keys would be

ctrl + right arrow to physically rotate an image clockwise
ctrl + left arrow to physically rotate an image counterclockwise
ctrl + down arrow to physically rotate an image 180 degrees.

Thanks for considering this request. :)

Mario

IMatch cannot rotate files physically, with the exception of JPEG files (lossless rotate, if this is what you mean). This is an old feature I have left in for the rare case where cameras are unable to rotate the image properly, or where correcting the EXIF orientation (which is the right way to do it) does not work for whatever reason.

You can rotate any number of files with this command so the usual workflow is to select all files to rotate, then run the command once via the shortcut <Alt>+<C>,<i>,<L>.

How many wrong orientated files do you have, and where do they come from?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

+1 from me too

though I don't have the problem with my DSLR images usually, I do index a number of smartphone pictures from the whole family and very often, due to the variety of angles in which pictures are taken, the orientation is wrong.

Mario

Is the image orientation (pixel data in the file) wrong or is the EXIF orientation metadata tag wrong?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2014, 07:09:43 PM
Is the image orientation (pixel data in the file) wrong or is the EXIF orientation metadata tag wrong?
The Exif information is wrong because the phone was held an an angle where it may have thought it was horizontal when it was vertical. Mostly happens when shooting at steep angles up or down (flat, phone parallel to the ground). The internal sensors are then unable to clearly detect an image orientation.
Most annoying when shooting video  ;D (fortunately, I can rotate the videos later)

ben

Please don't remove this function. I actually use it quite often.
I rather would like to ask for some improvements.
I sometimes look through my images outside of iMatch and that program cannot rotate the image based on the EXIF information.

The mentioned shortcut would be great.
And/Or  calling the function through a script, so one could write own scripts for that.

Ben